About the organisation
Djirra is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation (ACCO) that works towards a future where all Aboriginal women are strong, safe, independent, healthy and positive in their lives, culture and communities. All Djirra’s work is designed by and for Aboriginal women and is deeply respectful of and connected to community. Self-determination is the foundation of everything we do: it is Our Cultural Way.
About the role
The Aboriginal Family Violence Legal Service (AFVLS) is a program of Djirra and an opportunity has now arisen in our Abbotsford office for a Support Worker (officially called Paralegal Support Worker) to provide support and information who have experienced family violence. You will work closely with a Lawyer assisting clients to access a variety of legal, social, psychological, cultural, health and other support services to address their complex needs and issues.
- Willingness to learn and work collaboratively with the Lawyer to ensure clients are supported to address their various and complex legal and support needs.
- Develop and maintain relationships with a broad range of stakeholders including the Aboriginal cooperatives, Aboriginal Health Services, family and children’s services to name a few
- Provide support at court and tribunal hearings
- Assist with applications for intervention orders
- Meet with local Aboriginal organisations and service providers to establish and develop working relationships
- Participate in our Community Legal Education activities
- Undertake legal administration tasks, including reception duties, client intake, and assisting with day-to-day management of client files
- Provide general office duties.
While you are not required to have a legal background, you will gain an understanding of legal processes through your work with the legal team – support will be provided as needed.
This position is ongoing and based at our Abbotsford office. A current drivers licence will be essential for this role.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Support Worker via Pro Bono Australia.