About the organisation
About the role
- ❖ Key leadership role in a values-driven organisation
Youth Support and Advocacy Service (YSAS) is an established and respected for-purpose organisation providing a range of drug and alcohol, mental health and other services to young people experiencing serious disadvantage. Its vision is a community where all young people are valued, included and have every opportunity to thrive.
Working collaboratively with the Executive, the Human Resources General Manager will implement a people strategy to enhance organisational performance and deliver on YSAS’s core purpose and objectives. Leading the Human Resources team, responsibilities span employee and industrial relations, health, safety and wellbeing, people capability including talent, succession and retention activities, while building the employee brand to maintain YSAS’s position as an employer of choice.
With qualifications in HR or other related discipline, you are a proven leader of teams, with demonstrated success in managing an organisational HR function, policy and practice. Your strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills in tandem with excellent stakeholder engagement and influencing abilities, equip you to excel in a regulated, dynamic and values-based environment.
A community where all young people are valued included and have every opportunity to thrive.
To enable young people experiencing serious disadvantage to access the resources and support they require to lead healthy and fulfilling lives.
We are impartial and authentic in our practice and in how we relate to colleagues within and outside of our organisation.
We create a positive environment for staff and young people to make valuable contributions.
We set high standards and we are answerable for our decisions and actions.
We accept and value the diversity and rights of people, their culture and their life experience.
YSAS is a Child Safe organisation. We actively promote the safety and wellbeing of young people, and are committed to protecting young people from harm or abuse who come into contact with and/or access our service. Applicants must undergo rigorous screening and recruitment processes, including providing evidence of current WWCC and National Police Check prior to commencing employment.
The Humans Resources Manager will:
- Lead business partnering to internal client group and own responsibility for the delivery of strategic and operational Human Resources objectives through a team of Human Resource specialists.
- Contribute to the transformation of the organisation’s workforce strategy and program to ensure that it has the capacity and capability to meet current and future needs.
- Ensure that the organisation is aware and proactive in meeting its contemporary statutory and regulatory compliance obligations in respect of employee relations and health and assist the Executive and employee teams with their responsibilities in those areas.
This role reports into the Chief of Finance and Corporate Services. This role currently has 5 direct reports.
The primary stakeholders that this role will interact with are:
- YSAS Leadership Group
- Staff within YSAS and broader sector
Incumbents in this role must:
- Provide strong leadership in the development and implementation of strong recruitment and on-boarding processes
- Be able to develop and report on key workforce metrics
- Be involved in the union liaison and EBA negotiation/ implementation and have the ability to interpret award and EBA provisions
- Assist with cultural change to embed strong processes and practice across the organisation
Prior to commencement of employment incumbent must provide YSAS assurance of their:
- Working with Children’s Check (WWCC).
- Satisfactory National Police Check (NPC).
- Any relevant required professional registrations (e.g. CPA,CA)
- Driver’s licence.
- Copies of all relevant qualifications.
Other relevant role information
- The incumbent of this role may be required to work at various different YSAS sites depending on YSAS operational requirements.
All YSAS employees are required to work in accordance with including but not limited to:
- Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Victoria)
- Equal Employment Opportunities (including prevention of bullying, harassment and intimidation).
- Fair Work Act (2009).
- Relevant Awards, Enterprise Agreement.
- Duty to maintain privacy and confidentiality.
- Smoke Free Workplace.
- Code of Conduct.
- Child Safety best practice.
- Other YSAS policies and procedures, which may be amended from time to time.
This position description provides an indication of the type of duties you will be engaged to perform. You may be lawfully directed to perform any duties that a person with your qualifications, skills and abilities would reasonably be expected to perform. The Human Resources Manager is responsible for:
Leadership and Management
- Lead, supervise, mentor and motivate HR team to achieve functional priorities, strategic plans and support organisational objectives.
- Attend and contribute to regular management and committee meetings as required.
- Contribute to management training and organisational induction meetings as necessary
- Contribute to the development of YSAS HR strategy and Workforce Plan; support Executive for strategy implementation to achieve YSAS Strategic Plan.
- Contribute to organisational structure reviews and workforce planning.
- Drive development of a recruitment strategy including an employee value proposition (EVP) and strive to be an employer of choice.
- Provide strategic HR advice to the Executive Team.
HR Employee Lifecycle
- Develop and oversee efficient and effective delivery of services related to recruitment, on boarding and induction, performance and development reviews, promotions and exit/ off boarding.
- Ensure timely provision of operational advice and support to Executive team and Managers on all aspects of employee lifecycle.
- Drive the planning and implementation of remuneration strategies.
- Ensure efficiency and continuous improvement of operational HR processes including automation of key process steps related to employee lifecycle.
- Oversee the preparation of employment contracts ensuring compliance with the YSAS EBA in relation to relevant awards and remuneration levels.
- Provide support to managers at all levels to drive excellence in people management, collaborative working environments and to develop people management capability.
- Work collaboratively with staff across the organisation to ensure organisational needs are understood, recognised and responded to, as well as staff are supported in their services.
Risk Management, Health and Safety and Workcover
Health and Safety
- Develop, maintain and share knowledge of current Health & Safety legislation and practice
- Support the Chair of the YSAS Health and Safety Committee by:
- o overseeing the Health and Safety (H&S) program performance and reporting
- Ensuring that annual H&S inspections are conducted and that any hazards and unsafe / unsatisfactory conditions or practices are identified.
- Establish and maintain appropriate training programs in H&S
- Assist in the investigation of all workplace incidents where necessary and that incident reporting meets statutory and organisational timelines. Where required, corrective measures are followed up and undertaken.
- Oversee the management of H&S risks within YSAS Risk Register
- Ensure compliance to relevant legislation and safe practices such as fire evacuation, Privacy, statutory requirements and organisational policies.
- Ensure Workcover claims are processed within statutory timelines including the completion of all Workcover forms, documentation and letters to support the processing of Workcover claims
- Liaise with insurer, staff and Managers as required
- Oversee the effective management of Return to Work process
Employee and Industrial Relations
- Provide advice and support to Executive team and Managers on employee and industrial relations.
- Ensure that policy and best practice are applied fairly and consistently across the organisation.
- Actively participate in and/or coordinate coaching and influencing Managers from a people perspective, developing their people management / leadership skills and constructively challenging inappropriate behaviours / actions.
- Coordinate the EBA negotiation and implementation processes.
- Ensure all HR and Payroll processes comply with the updated EBA provisions.
- Ensure consistent application of EBA provisions including award interpretation and remuneration rate changes.
- Keep abreast of developments in employment legislation and case law and be proactive in ensuring that Managers are appropriately briefed on relevant changes and new legislation.
Workforce training, learning and development
In conjunction with Research and Practice:
- Ensure that Manager training program is designed, maintained and delivered on timely basis to all new and promoted Managers
- Contribute to the development, implementation, monitoring and continuous improvement of the organisation’s workforce.
- Ensure Managers are trained on HR related policies and procedures and provide coaching and advice to Managers in relation to people management policies
HR Policies and Procedures
- Lead the development, review and adoption of HR policies and procedures to ensure they are legislatively compliant and reflective of current best practice models where applicable.
Operations – HR Budgeting and Project Management
- Prepare and manage organisational HR budget
- Plan and implement internal HR projects as required
- Participate in special projects as requested by the Executive Team
Administration – HR Records, Data Analysis and Reporting
- Ensure employee records are confidentially stored
- Ensure timely collection of all relevant data for HR trend analysis and strategic planning.
- Ensure timely preparation and distribution of HR reports to management and other internal stakeholders including but not limited to compliance checks, performance appraisals, staff turnover, staff leave, absenteeism.
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of WGEA report.
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge and Experience relevant to the role
- Bachelor’s degree in HR or other related discipline
- Extensive professional experience in HR practice.
- HR leadership and management experience, with demonstrated success in leading organisational HR function, policy and practice.
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector and/or health sector would be advantageous.
Knowledge and Skills
- Well organised, and able to be flexible in managing competing priorities and deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as highly developed interpersonal, coaching, and consultative skills
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills and ability to deliver innovative solutions
- Good judgment, able to influence others and seen as a credible source of advice
- A team player, able to work in a collaborative way.
- Has tact, sensitivity and diplomacy; ability to think on feet and act proactively with discretion.
- Commitment to personal learning, development and improvement in pursuit of own performance objectives and those of the team and organisation.
- Commitment to YSAS’ values and a working style that reflects these
Descriptors below detail the behavioural capabilities required for performance in the Humans Resources Manager role.
- Ensures business unit strategies are aligned with YSAS’ strategic plans
- Continually reviews goals and plans to reflect changing priorities or conditions
- Anticipates risks and manages these accordingly
- Champions new initiatives and stimulates change
- Defines conceptual ideas and objectives and translates these into concrete implementation plans
- Creates a shared sense of purpose towards achieving YSAS goals
- Holds self and others accountable for quality, timely and cost-effective results
- Promotes and capitalises on innovative and creative solutions to resolve complex issues
- Considers future needs of YSAS and promotes training and development to build capability
- Creates and aligns structures, systems and resources to better achieve objectives
- Monitors expenditure and uses-cost benefit thinking to set priorities
- Builds and promotes a high standard of occupational health safety and welfare in the workplace
- Uses appropriate strategies to constructively manage and resolve conflicts/disagreements promptly
- Sets clear performance standards
- Manages unsatisfactory performance promptly
- Promotes and ensures employees engage in performance development opportunities
- Mentors employees in preparation for succession planning
Personal Drive and Professionalism
- Models and builds a culture of respect for others
- Confident in expressing a professional opinion and willing to challenge difficult or controversial issues
- Is receptive to feedback and is responsive in adjusting own behaviour
- Engages in self-reflection and actively seeks to address own development needs
Key Selection Criteria for Appointment into Role
- Extensive experience in HR fundamentals including:
- the development and implementation of strong recruitment and on-boarding processes
- developing and reporting on key workforce performance analytics
- maintaining clear systems and processes for the management of employee performance, including processes for managing complaints relating to employee conduct
- Strategic planning skills and previous success in HR strategy design and implementation.
- Extensive knowledge and evidence of application of contemporary HR practices and strategies.
- Comprehensive knowledge of, and experience in, employee relations / industrial relations, relevant legislation and related legal risks
- An excellent communicator, able to engage, influence and motivate internal and external stakeholders with confidence and assertiveness. Seen as a credible source of advice.
- Significant exposure to union liaison and EBA negotiation/ implementation and ability to interpret award and EBA provisions into payroll processing rules.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety legislation, systems and processes and ability to manage and prioritise activity in health and safety area.
- Highly skilled in leading a team of HR professionals, managing team priorities, supervising and motivating individual team members.
- Strong focus on continuous improvement, in particular with respect to HR business processes.
- Demonstrated project management skills with the ability to plan and implement complex projects, assess, prioritise and manage a varied workload
- Sound professional judgement, with well-developed ability to synthesize and integrate information to develop effective approaches and solutions to complex problems and issues.
- Driven by a genuine customer service ethos and able to inspire the same in others.
- Approaches work with initiative, drive, flexibility and a sense of urgency.
- Well organized, with sound ability to flex and manage competing priorities and deadlines
+ Super + PBI salary packaging (dependent on experience)
Type of Appointment:
Full time, fixed term position
for up to 3 years (1.0FTE / 38hrs per week)
Finance and Corporate Services
How to apply
Please quote in application: (AS808) YSAS - Human Resources General Manager via Pro Bono Australia.