About the organisation
SHINE for Kids is the only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy through to reaching adulthood at 18, our programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional facilities throughout NSW, ACT, VIC, QLD and WA.
We support children, facilitate hope; inspire kids to reach their potential; nurture their growth; empower them to succeed.
About the role
This position is based at Clarence Correctional Centre. The Child and Family Facilitator is responsible for facilitating life-changing programs that support both children of prisoners during their parent’ incarceration and also focus on supporting parents in custody to develop their parenting skills and stay connected with their children.
Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities of the position include program facilitation, participant care, facilitating risk management and program logistics, supporting intake and administration, and working with key stakeholders, volunteers and community partners.
The following programs that are currently being delivered at Clarence Correctional Centre:
Keeping Us Together– This parenting program uses mindfulness and reflection to inspire mums and dads in custody to examine and improve their communication with children so that they may foster more positive interactions which support children’s development and positive identity.
Rhythm2Recovery. The Rhythm2Recovery Program is an integrated model of practice that combines rhythmic music- using Djembe drums with cognitive reflection.
Keeping Us Strong – It is an extended version of the Keeping Us Together Program the Keeping us Strong program repairs and nurtures the child-parent bond and empowers parent in custody to reflect on their parenting journey.
Storytime Program– This program is designed to increase literacy skills and child/parent bonding for parents in custody and their children.
- Diploma in Early Childhood Education Care, Social Services, Criminology or Community Services or equivalent experience in a facilitation role.
- Current Working with Children Check (Paid)
- Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks, Criminal History Records Check and professional registration checks.
- You will required to complete Mandatory Drug and Alcohol testing
- Current Drivers License
- COVID-19 Vaccination
Key Selection Criteria:
Minimum of two years of progressive experience facilitating or leading program delivery
Experience with people that live with significant barriers or life challenges
- Experience in working with children/young people
- Experience in working with volunteers as an integral part of a service delivery model.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the issues and challenges that children of prisoners face.
- Experience working with and engaging Aboriginal families and their children
- Demonstrate an awareness of the issues faced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Culturally and Linguistically Diverse clients.
The base rate for this position is $34.20 + superannuation.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
If you have the skills and experience outlined please submit your resume and a cover letter addressing the above skills and experience, plus any other information that you feel is relevant to your ability to perform this role.
We kindly ask recruiters not to submit any applicants
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.
Please quote in application: Child and Family Facilitator via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Children, #Community_Support_Services, #Families