About the organisation
The Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture Inc. (also known as Foundation House) provides services to advance the health, wellbeing, and human rights of people of refugee backgrounds in Victoria who have experienced torture or other traumatic events in their country of origin or while fleeing those countries.
The organisation was established in Melbourne in 1987 and is non-denominational, politically neutral, and non-aligned. Foundation House is a state-wide agency offering services in metropolitan, regional and rural areas, with head office based in Brunswick. We have approximately 200 staff with metropolitan regional offices in Dallas, Sunshine, Dandenong, and Ringwood.
About the role
We have multiple fixed term positions available at our Dallas office working between 0.8 to 1 EFT.
About the roles
We are looking for degree qualified (or equivalent) professionals to deliver safe, effective, connected and person-centred assessment, counselling and advocacy services to children, young people, adults and their families who have experienced torture and other traumatic events. The CYAF Counsellor Advocate role brings expertise and an in-depth working knowledge of trauma-informed and trauma-focussed interventions for children, young people, adults and their families/carers by providing a range of interventions including early intervention, systemic, individual, group and family-based approaches. These are informed by the VFST Integrated Trauma Recovery Service Model and VFST’s Trauma Recovery Framework as documented in Rebuilding Shattered Lives (2nd ed).
To be successful in this role you will meet the key selection criteria:
- be degree qualified as a psychologist, social worker, or counsellor or hold a university degree in a related discipline
- be experienced in conducting comprehensive psychosocial and risk assessments and providing therapeutic interventions for children, young people, adults and families
- be experienced in working systemically by advocating on behalf of clients with a range of sectors including health, education, welfare, government and legal
- have demonstrated understanding of trauma-informed and trauma-focussed practice models in working with children, young people, adults and their families who are survivors of torture or other traumatic events relating to their refugee background
- have demonstrated cross cultural competence and the ability to work with interpreters
- be a highly organised professional who can effectively document client health records and prepare high quality client reports
- demonstrate a positive, creative, and collaborative approach
Previous experience in working with refugees and/or asylum seekers will be highly regarded.
Salary and benefits
We offer a gross annual salary of $96,804, plus 17.5% leave loading and 10% superannuation. Additional benefits include salary packaging up to $18,550, a range of flexible working options, a highly supportive team environment, excellent training and development opportunities, and onsite parking.
Conditional employment requirements
- Satisfactory Police Check
- Current Working with Children Check
- Current Driver’s Licence
- Occasional travel to head office
- COVID-19 vaccination*
- Proof of the right to work and live in Australia.
* In accordance with the health orders from the Victorian Minister for Health, the Pandemic COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Specified Facilities) Order 2022, Foundation House must comply with employer obligations regarding mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations, including the third vaccination. If you are successful in gaining employment with Foundation House you will be required to provide evidence of your COVID-19 vaccination for work at our sites.
Foundation House is committed to promoting and protecting the interests and safety of children and actively plays a part in combating family violence; this is reflected in our organisational policies, protocols and staff development.
Foundation House is an equal opportunity employer and we foster a work environment that is inclusive and diverse. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, particularly those of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive impartial consideration for employment.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Counsellor Advocate via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Children, #Community_Development, #Community_Engagement, #Families, #Mental_Health