About the organisation
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of Australia’s most successful public interest and social justice organisations. In the face of rising levels of unmet legal need, Justice Connect designs and delivers high impact interventions to increase access to legal support and progress social justice.
We are committed to taking an impact-focused approach, applying research and design principles to develop our products and services to ensure they make a tangible difference for our clients and sector peers.
We deliver services that assist both people and community organisations. Those we assist often struggle to navigate the law, are unable to use the law in their daily lives and experience the impacts of harsh and unjust laws. We aim to prevent and to solve legal problems so that we can prevent the negative impacts on people’s lives and organisations and empower the community to use the law as a force for good.
Given the scale of the challenges we address, we use digital innovation to extend our reach and impact, supporting us to be more efficient and accessible, while helping us capture and use data to better understand legal need and underlying systemic issues.
We harness the extraordinary pro bono contributions of over 50 member firms and the barristers we work with across the country. We channel pro bono effort through our innovative service models to ensure that pro bono hours deliver real impact for the community.
We develop strategic interventions to help address the system-level drivers of legal problems and barriers people face when engaging with the legal system. By addressing root causes of flawed or unfair laws and poorly designed systems, we prevent the long-term challenges that people and organisations continue to face.
Our creative and passionate staff drive us forward with a commitment to evaluation and iteration that ensures our impact increases year on year.
About the role
Not-for-profit Law’s Paralegal and Legal Administrator provides paralegal and administrative support to the Not-for-profit Law team. Working in a collaborative cross-jurisdictional team, the Paralegal and Legal Administrator plays a key role in ensuring high-quality, efficient and timely legal services for not-for-profit community organisations and social enterprises across Australia.
The Paralegal and Legal Administrator role supports the Not-for-profit Law team to deliver support for not-for-profit organisations across Australia. Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Managing initial telephone, email and online enquiries from not-for-profit organisations;
- Overseeing the intake process to ensure that enquiries are dealt with efficiently and effectively;
- Taking comprehensive and clear instructions from help-seekers and making preliminary eligibility assessments;
- Providing help-seekers with the outcome of an eligibility assessment and administering client files (opening, closing, periodic checks, evaluation);
- Providing legal information to help-seekers, where appropriate;
- Monitoring and maintaining Not-for-profit Law’s databases and ensuring data is complete and clean;
- Preparing and collating of reports, templates and acquittals as required internally and under funding agreements, including regular data tracking against reporting and funding KPIs;
- Escalating risk and legal practice management issues to the Principal Lawyer or Manager
- Assisting lawyers with legal research and drafting correspondence;
- Drafting and compiling client stories and obtaining client consent to their use;
- General administration duties (e.g. scheduling meetings, drafting intake rosters, setting up systems and procedures);
- Training and assisting staff, PLTs, volunteers and secondees in client intake processes and procedures;
- Assisting with recruitment, induction, training and support of practical legal training placement students (PLTs), as required;
- Assisting with Not-for-profit Law publications, such as the monthly update and law reform submissions;
- Collaborating effectively with other Paralegal and Legal Administrators to fulfill key duties;
- Contributing to program and organisation-wide projects, including Justice Connect’s Reconciliation Action Plan activities, and
- Other ad hoc tasks as required for the benefit of the team.
- Please view the attached PDF for information regarding the selection criteria.
Justice Connect offers employment benefits including salary packaging (making part of your salary tax-free), flexible working arrangements, above award annual leave provisions and opportunities for professional development. Justice Connect is an organisation that strives to show leadership, operate sustainably and demonstrate our effectiveness. You will be rewarded with a workplace culture that is professional, committed, collaborative and creative and where you can make a real difference through your work.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Paralegal and Legal Administrator via Pro Bono Australia.