About the organisation
About the role
- Advocate for social change, law and policy reform
- Be part of driving gender equality at a critical time
- Hybrid, Melbourne CBD & WFH
- Ongoing position
Women’s Legal Service Victoria (WLSV) is a specialised organisation providing services and support to women since 1982. WLSV exists to help build a gender equitable society, driving systemic change and advocating for solutions for equality, safety and economic security. They work alongside women experiencing disadvantage to promote their rights to live free from violence.
As a social change organisation, you will be part of identifying structural barriers and inequality for women and working to overcome them at both the client and community level. Systemic advocacy is driven from their practice and the lived experience of clients. At this critical time for gender equality, WLSV are at the forefront of seizing the opportunity for change.
This exciting position will help to advocate for social change, law and policy reform in the interests of women and their children and for broader gender equality. You will act as a change agent in the organisation, supporting and promoting greater integration of WLSV’s legal work for individual clients and its advocacy for broader systemic change.
You will assist to maximise WLSV’s strategic influence through building a broad and robust network, and supporting lasting partnerships with decision makers and stakeholders. You will provide a range of high-level legal and policy analysis, including strategic advice, preparing high quality documents, developing critical relationships, and implementing strategies to enable the achievement of the organisation’s strategic objectives.
They offer competitive remuneration, a strong commitment to professional development, personal development, a genuinely flexible working environment that supports work-life balance, salary packaging (which can add up to $15,900 in tax-free pay /year) and a vibrant and collegiate work culture.
In return, you will work in a career defining role in a dynamic and fast-growing team with exposure to a range of legal and policy issues. You will be part of a high performing and experienced team. WLSV are committed to supporting their staff through building skills and knowledge for those looking for a change, and valuing the diverse expertise brought into our organisation
- You are a passionate advocate committed to using your legal, policy and advocacy skills to help build a gender equitable society
- You use strategic and systemic thinking, can facilitate and encourage change, and have the ability to foster these skills in others
- High-level legal research skills and ability to analyse the cause of issues impacting women and to understand relevant legislation
- Strong project management skills, including setting priorities, planning and managing campaigns
- Excellent strategic mindset, problem solving capabilities and able to think holistically without losing attention to detail
- Highly innovative with ability to think laterally and use initiative to identify and respond to issues, to improve practices or address problems
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills. You can effectively network with (and present to) a range of stakeholders including government and policy makers.
- Political nous and experience navigating complexity and strategy in the political context
- Proven ability to work proactively and independently and to self-direct work and manage ambiguity
- Proven ability to effectively manage competing priorities calmly and with initiative and sound judgement based on the organisations priorities
- A tertiary degree in a relevant discipline is required and a minimum of five years’ experience in policy and campaigns work
- Desirable: You are a qualified lawyer with previous experience in the community sector and / or government or political environment.
- Desirable: Demonstrated experience in or knowledge of family law, family violence, child protection or economic security.
It is a critical time for gender equality, and this is an incredible opportunity to join an organisation that is at the forefront of advocating for change.
APPLY NOW if you are a policy specialist and want to advocate for social change, law and policy reform in the interests of women and their children.
Gembridge is partnering with Women’s Legal Service Victoria.
For a confidential discussion, contact Jenni D’Orival or Michelle Varcoe on 03 8375 9661 or email@example.com
How to apply
Please quote in application: Senior Policy Advisor via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Children, #Law_Justice_and_Human_Rights, #Women