About the organisation
About the role
Canberra Community Law (CCL) provides free legal services to those facing financial hardship, disadvantage and other barriers to accessing the justice system. CCL has been part of the Canberra community for over 35 years and has responded to the changing and increasing legal needs in the ACT with trauma-informed and culturally responsive legal services.
CCL works in collaboration with government, social and legal services both locally and across Australia to realise its vision of a just and empowered community. It is the only free legal service in the ACT that specialises in housing, social security, disability discrimination, race discrimination and homelessness law. CCL also operates the Dhurrawang Aboriginal Human Rights Program, which provides specialist legal services in the areas of housing, social security and race discrimination to the ACT’s First Nations community.
Benefits & Culture
- Dedicated, collaborative and dynamic workplace culture
- Salary range between $92k and $97k plus superannuation & packaging options
- Professional development opportunities & external supervision provided
- A workplace that promotes diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Two days WFH
- Implementing reconciliation and disability action plans
- Paid Christmas shutdown leave
- Opportunities to provide supervision for social work student placements
This role works in the Socio-Legal Practice Clinic (The Clinic) that assists the socially isolated and disadvantaged by integrating the skills of the lawyer and social worker in legal matters. The Clinic focuses on the protection of human rights, specifically access to safe, secure, and adequate housing and access to basic income support and freedom from discrimination and violence.
The Clinic only accepts internal referrals, and assistance is generally short term and targets both legal, and client identified non-legal needs to assist in the resolution of the client’s legal issues and psycho-social emotional challenges. The social worker partners with a CCL lawyer to support the needs of the client from the initial referral through to resolution.
You have well-developed case management skills, including working with people with complex needs, including people experiencing suicidal ideation, violence or living with a disability. You have highly developed verbal and written communication skills, including experience maintaining case files, undertaking psycho-social assessments, and writing reports or support letters. You also have the following experience;
- Knowledge of the ACT community sector and referral options or capacity to acquire
- Ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- A commitment to working within the SLP Clinic model.
- Organisational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop stakeholder relationships and referral pathways for clients.
- Bachelor of Social Work or Master of Social Work
- Eligible for membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers
- Working with Vulnerable People Card, or the ability to obtain one
- Hold or ability to obtain an ACT Driver’s licence
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with disability are encouraged to apply.
Please submit your expression of interest, including a cover letter responding to the skills required above and a resume to email@example.com quoting job #883614. Alternatively, call Hayley Martin on 02 8243 0570 to discuss your interest.
Please note there is no formal closing date for this role; if you are interested, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
How to apply
Please quote in application: Social Worker via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Engagement, #Law_Justice_and_Human_Rights, #Mental_Health, #Social_Enterprise