About the organisation
About the role
- Build and drive communications strategy
- Advocate for social change and gender equality
- Hybrid, Melbourne CBD & WFH
- Full-time or part-time negotiable, Ongoing position
Women’s Legal Service Victoria (WLSV) is a specialist organisation providing services and support to women since 1982. WLSV exists to help build a gender equitable society, driving systemic change and advocating for solutions for equality, safety and economic security. They work alongside women experiencing disadvantage to promote their rights to live free from violence.
As a social change organisation, you will be part of identifying structural barriers and inequality for women and working to overcome them at both the client and community level. Systemic advocacy is driven from their practice and the lived experience of clients.
At this critical time for gender equality, WLSV are at the forefront of seizing the opportunity for change. This exciting broad and strategic position will help raise awareness, engagement and visibility leading to social change, law and policy reform in the interests of women and their children and for broader gender equality.
Reporting to the CEO and leading a small team, you will plan and implement strategy across communications, content development, media liaison, public relations, advocacy, campaigns, publications, website and digital engagement.
You will lead WLSV’s brand awareness and engagement, positioning WLSV in public debates, manage critical issues and use the organisation’s voice to create change. WLSV engages with a broad audience to build influence and to support relationships with funders, partners, policymakers and other stakeholders. You will maximise WLSV’s strategic influence and enable the achievement of the organisation’s strategic objectives.
WLSV offers competitive remuneration, a strong commitment to professional development, personal development, a genuinely flexible working environment that supports work-life balance, salary packaging (which can add up to $15,900 in tax-free pay /year), and a vibrant and collegiate work culture. In return, you will work in a career-defining role in a dynamic and fast-growing team with exposure to a range of legal, policy, gender and social justice issues.
You will be part of a high-performing and experienced team. WLSV are committed to supporting their staff through building skills and knowledge for those looking for a change, and valuing the diverse expertise brought into our organisation.
- You are passionate and committed to using your strategic communication skills to help build a gender-equitable society
- Excellent communication and campaign skills and the ability to distil complex information into compelling messages to persuade audiences
- Strong project management skills, including setting priorities, planning and managing campaigns, including advocacy and digital
- Excellent strategic mindset, problem solving capabilities and able to think holistically without losing attention to detail
- Political nous and experience navigating complexity and strategy in the political context
- Proven ability to work proactively and independently and to self-direct work and manage ambiguity
- Proven ability to effectively manage competing priorities calmly and with initiative and sound judgement based on priorities
- A tertiary degree in a relevant discipline is required and a minimum of five years’ relevant experience
- Desirable: Previous experience in the community sector and / or government or political environment.
It is a critical time for gender equality, and this is an incredible opportunity to join an organisation that is at the forefront of advocating for change. This position is for a female. WLSV has exemption #A439 from provision of the Equal Opportunity Act 1995.
APPLY NOW if you are a Strategic Communications & Engagement Manager with genuine interest in social justice and advocating for the interests of women and their children.
Gembridge is partnering with Women’s Legal Service Victoria. For a confidential discussion, contact Jenni D’Orival or Michelle Varcoe on 03 8375 9661 or firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
Please quote in application: Strategic Communications & Engagement Manager via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Children, #Families, #Law_Justice_and_Human_Rights, #Women