About the organisation
Stile was founded in 2012 out of a desire to see more of our young citizens become scientifically literate, aware of the challenges their generation will face, and prepared for the world into which they will graduate:
- A world of ‘fake news’ and ‘alternative facts’.
- A world where automation is rapidly and radically reshaping the workforce.
- A world where science and technology are increasingly pervasive in our lives.
For our students to prosper, we believe they must leave school with the skills and knowledge needed to navigate such a world and be confident to tackle tomorrow’s problems. Confident to participate in public discourse on the ethics of scientific issues such as artificial intelligence, vaccination and genetically modified food. Confident in their ability to continually learn and adapt through a multitude of careers.
We believe this is best tackled through schools by empowering teachers with world-class science teaching resources and practical Professional Learning. Our lessons are designed to be delivered during normal science classes, but push well beyond what is demanded by the curriculum. All our resources are delivered through our custom-built web-based teaching and learning platform. To get a bit of a feel for what we do, check out our lesson on the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Schools subscribe to Stile yearly on a per-student basis and today more than 1 in 3 Australian secondary schools do so. While that makes Stile the most popular science teaching resource in Australia, we are, as they say, only just getting started. We’re aiming to improve the quality of education received by 10 million students by 2030.
About the role
We’re hiring for a newly created position, Commercial Finance Partner, to join our growing Melbourne-based team. This position will join our Operations team, reporting to the Head of Finance.
What’s in it for you
- You’ll join an amazing 75-strong team of educators, scientists, artists and engineers. Imagine a workplace where everyone genuinely cares about, and is working towards, improving scientific and mathematical literacy amongst our young citizens. We hold ourselves and each other to a high standard and love what we do.
- You’ll be working as part of our Operations team who look after everything from Finance, People Operations, Facilities and Internal IT to create a delightful working experience for the whole Stile team.
- You’ll be extremely well supported. We value our people, and it’s important to us that they’re happy. We have strong management and feedback frameworks, an Employee Assistance Program and a progressive parental leave policy.
- You’ll be working on something that really matters. In partnership with teachers, we’re coaching students to become problem solvers and critical thinkers.
- Regular professional development – we’re lifelong learners here at Stile. Alongside teaching you everything you need to know to succeed in this role, you’ll have the opportunity to attend internal and external PD.
- Our annual company snow trip and other team bonding events (COVID willing, of course).
How you’ll spend your time
- Drive the budgeting and forecasting process internally. Partner with budget owners to set their budgets and ensure they’re meeting them. Help them find innovative ways of reducing expenditure.
- Own and refine our financial model. Prepare models for various strategic directions, run scenarios for varying assumptions and identify key sensitivities.
- Prepare management financials for the Executive team and for the Board, providing analysis of variances to budget, overview of KPI performance and up to date forecasting.
- Assist with cash flow management and any associated financing. Support any future capital-raising activities.
A bit about you
We’re really open-minded on your background and experience.
In addition to the general behaviours of highly effective Stilists,
- You consider yourself a ‘details’ person, and you love numbers.
- You’ve got a genuine desire to help people manage their financial affairs, with an understanding that it isn’t everyone’s strength like it is yours. You’re happy to help educate, and see it as part of your role.
- You bring numbers to life by applying your knowledge of the organisation and using them to tell a story rather than just a set of numbers on a page.
- Financial accountability touches every part of the organisation. You’re keenly aware of this, and go out of your way to ensure any routine work placed on our busy team is minimised. You look for clever automations, and seek to implement systems and procedures that provide the rigour we need with the least impact across the organisation.
- You are proactive and innovative, responding to change by adapting quickly and continually looking for ways to improve.
Hours and location
This is a full-time permanent role with some flexible work hours. While we think collaboration in our Melbourne office is an important part of building the best possible resources, we also appreciate that working from home or away from the office both offers time to really concentrate and the flexibility needed in modern life. Need to pick up the kids? No worries – we’re all about what you achieve, not the hours of the day that you achieve it.
Diversity and Inclusion
We believe that diverse minds can help us build the best products for current and future teachers and students. We believe in inclusivity, equal opportunity, and overcoming unconscious bias in our industry. We welcome anyone who’s ready to take the next step in their career, regardless of the path they’ve walked to reach this point. If you love science and education, then please apply for this job – or any of our open positions!
We can’t wait to hear from you!
How to apply
Click apply and be sure to include the following:
- A cover letter (no more than a page) explaining why you're going to smash this role out of the park. Include a paragraph on which Behaviours of an Effective Stile-ist most resonate with you or which you disagree with and why.
- Your resume
- Address your letter to Jayde Taylor.
For more information on our hiring process, please see here.
Please quote in application: Commercial Finance Partner via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Education_and_Training, #IT_and_Communication_Technology, #Science_and_Technology