About the organisation
Pro Bono Australia is a pioneering social enterprise, providing news, careers and resources for the common good with the mission of “activating good intentions”.
As the editorial arm of the organisation, Pro Bono News delivers the country’s preeminent news service for the social sector, providing news and analysis from across the purpose economy covering charities, social enterprise, impact investing, philanthropy, volunteering, ethical business and shared value.
Our news services boast 66K+ subscribers with 1.7 million people using our site annually. As such, we are the major hub for this sector.
We are a small team but we consistently punch above our weight when it comes to impact.
About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic, experienced media professional with plenty of vision to lead our digital news team on a nine month contract basis. The role operates over a nine-day fortnight.
You will be a digital native with a solid news sense, the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and a strong desire to learn and grow on the job.
You must have team leadership experience and a track record of building strong relationships with multiple stakeholders, not to mention energy to seek out great stories, calmness under pressure and a love of producing great content.
It is an autonomous role that requires you to wear many hats, so you must be a self-starter, who loves a challenge, enjoys creative problem-solving and welcomes being able to set the agenda.
We want someone who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves and implement and improve on current news strategy.
More than anything, you will be passionate about our mission to grow the social sector and deliver news that has an impact.
The editor is responsible for the day-to-day running of the news team and helps set the tone, style and scope of the online publication, managing and creating high-quality and engaging news stories with relevance and appeal to Australia’s social sector.
As part of a tight-knit team, this role also includes proficiency in sub-editing, website CMS and email marketing. You will have three direct reports, and will also be involved in overall business strategy.
It is also the editor’s responsibility – and privilege – to hold quarterly meetings with the Editorial Advisory Board and make the most of their expertise.
The opportunity comes at an exciting time for Pro Bono News, as we look to grow our reach and impact. Interest in the for-purpose world has come-of-age and we are looking for someone who can help us stake our claim as the go-to media source for this type of news.
Knowledge of building subscription models is a plus.
A strong interest in the social sector, including the role of the private sector in this community, is essential.
- research and write content for all digital channels;
- assign articles that drive audience growth and reader engagement;
- coordinate the production of a various email newsletters;
- manage and motivate a small team to deliver exceptional content across all channels, and execute the content strategy;
- ensure all articles checked for legal compliance;
- take an active role in developing your own skill base and knowledge of the social sector, while contributing to building the skill sets of other team members;
- collaborate with the marketing team to maximise the effectiveness of content distribution;
- work with the business development manager to help drive business initiatives.
- a working knowledge of the social sector, including growing trends such as ESG, shared value and impact investing;
- relevant tertiary qualifications and three years in a senior newsroom position;
- the ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines;
- excellent communication skills – written and verbal;
- strong level of attention to detail regarding spelling, grammar and punctuation;
- digital native;
- familiarity with MailChimp and WordPress;
- expertise with email marketing, SEO and social media;
- strong leadership skills;
- ability to think strategically, exercise good business judgement and manage projects.
How to apply
To apply please send a CV and cover letter to editor Wendy Williams
Pro Bono Australia is a proud B Corp.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.
Please quote in application: Editor (9 month maternity cover) via Pro Bono Australia.