About the organisation
Pro Bono Australia is a pioneering social enterprise, providing news, careers and resources for the common good with the mission of “activating good intentions”.
As the editorial arm of the organisation, Pro Bono News delivers Australia’s leading news service for the social economy. We unpack news and analysis from all parts of the burgeoning purpose sector including charities and not for profits, volunteering, philanthropy, social enterprise, CSR and shared value, and impact investing.
Our news services boast 70K+ subscribers with 1.7 million people using our site annually. As such, we are the major hub for this sector.
About the role
Do you want to work for Australia’s first B Corp news organisation? Do you want to curate conversations that matter and help support the growing-for-purpose sector? Join Pro Bono News!
We are seeking an enthusiastic, driven journalist/editor to join our team three days a week. We are a small team but we consistently punch above our weight when it comes to impact. We want someone who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves and will be passionate about our mission to grow the social sector and deliver news that has an impact.
We are looking for someone with a good understanding of the for-purpose sector who can unearth new talent – from Australia and internationally – and recognise topics that will set the agenda.
You will be a digital native with strong editing skills, experience in online journalism and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
The opinion editor is in charge of all contributor content that Pro Bono News publishes. As the section editor, you will need to have a strong news judgment and the ability to recognise strong contributor content that will add value to the Pro Bono News audience.
It will also be up to you to work with contributors to help them translate their ideas into plain language. As the role is primarily to edit and write copy we’re looking for someone with sharp writing skills and impeccable editing.
You’ll need to be meticulous and have a good eye for detail, and it helps if you can come up with a great headline.
Experience with WordPress and Mailchimp is a plus.
- The opinion editor is in charge of the contributor pieces that Pro Bono News publishes (including sponsored articles).
- This requires sourcing new talent and building a strong network of contributors.
- The opinion editor is the main point of contact for contributors and is required to work with contributors and edit their articles so they are fit for publishing.
- The role includes sub-editing copy to fit the in-house style guide, uploading content to the website and social media, and populating eDMs to send to our subscribers.
- The role also contributes to all online delivery including; web, social and mobile of Pro Bono Australia.
- Some writing is required – producing high-quality news stories for online with high relevance and appeal to Australia’s social sector.
- The role requires working within a small team.
- This role requires an energy to seek out great stories, calmness under pressure and a love of producing great content.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and a minimum of one year’s experience in a similar role.
- The ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines.
- High attention to detail.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a small team.
- Relationship management and the ability to develop contacts.
- A working knowledge of the social sector.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Opinion editor via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Bcorp, #Community_Engagement, #Social_Enterprise