About the organisation
About the role
- Full-time permanent opportunity + 17% Super
- Lead and deliver a fundraising strategy, program and team that inspires our community to donate through engaging community giving campaigns and appeals, through storytelling and the building of relationships that lead to a culture of philanthropy.
- Play a lead role in celebrating the impact of donor generosity and ensuring our donors feel thanked, valued and engaged with the University and its community.
Look to the future
The University of Newcastle is a global leader, committed to equity and excellence. Our vision is to create a better future for our regions and world, supported by our values of excellence, equity, engagement and sustainability.
The Office of Alumni and Philanthropy (OAP) sits within the Global Engagement and Partnerships Division and leads the implementation of the University of Newcastle’s Advancement Strategy.
The Community Fundraising and Donor Relations team partners both across the Office and the wider University to undertake the planning, coordination and implementation of comprehensive and targeted mid-tier, mass engagement and Gifts in Wills fundraising campaigns, appeals and programs that both inspire and celebrate the generosity of others. Delivered via innovative, donor centred, emotive and inspired communications, digital storytelling, events and engagement, these appeals and programs are aimed at growing, inspiring, receiving and retaining philanthropic support for University initiatives.
Be challenged and imagine with us
As the Senior Manager, Community Fundraising and Donor Relations you will lead, inspire, mentor, coach, guide, and build a culture of collaboration and high performance across the Community Fundraising and Donor Relations and wider OAP Teams.
In this role you will:
- Demonstrate leadership through action with your own portfolio of donors, who support the University through leaving a gift in their will or provide support through our mid-tier giving program.
- Deliver strategic, targeted and high-quality programs such as donor stewardship communications and events, gifts in wills engagement, and large-scale collective community giving campaigns and appeals such as Gifting Day and the annual appeals program.
- Inspire and lead a team of passionate and dedicated fundraising storytellers who engage our donors through a focus on meaningful stewardship, donor acquisition and retention, and gift in will fundraising.
- Foster a shared culture of donor engagement through celebrating and honouring donor generosity and the difference they are making across our communities, using powerful digital storytelling and donor impact reporting.
- Build strategic relationships with key internal partners, specialist external suppliers and our key community stakeholders, including alumni, staff, students and the wider University community.
- Provide best practice advice and strategic fundraising support to the University’s senior leadership in partnership with the Head of Philanthropy and the Director of Advancement.
- Cultivate a collaborative, positive and high-performing team of professional fundraisers across a broad range of fundraising programs.
- Foster a culture of proactive donor engagement by leveraging and maximising resources and leading and delivering community fundraising strategies to ensure the best outcomes for our donors and the University.
- Build a culture of philanthropy through delivering innovative, engaged and inspiring community fundraising, gifts in wills program and donor stewardship activities.
For specific position enquiries, please contact Rebecca Hazell, Director of Advancement Rebecca.Hazell@newcastle.edu.au or Anna Dowley, Advancement Operations Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org.
This permanent opportunity is primarily based at the Callaghan Campus on Awabakal land.
How will you inspire us?
You will have:
- Proven extensive experience in leading fundraising programs and teams and building strong, meaningful stakeholder relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement fundraising programs and communication campaigns in higher education or a similar environment, with specific knowledge of donor acquisition and retention strategies and appeals, Gifts in Wills Programs and donor storytelling.
- Immaculate communication skills, with a client focussed commitment to fostering lifelong donor relationships and a deep understanding of digital communications through a targeted, data-led and scalable approach.
- A leadership style that leads by example to inspire, motivate and empower others to achieve a high standard of success.
- Demonstrated experience developing successful presentations, business plans, reports and philanthropic communications.
- An audience centred approach with the ability to deliver on income and activity based KPIs.
We provide opportunities for all people regardless of their background and experience, and this philosophy is reflected across all that we do.
Conditions & Benefits
The remuneration is from $119,778 to $128,332 + 17% super and is commensurate with experience.
For information on our employee benefits (such as flexible working, discounts in private health insurance and gym memberships and salary packaging) please visit: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/jobs-at-uon
Let’s create this future together. Here’s how to join:
Visit this page (https://www.newcastle.edu.au/our-uni/jobs/job-vacancies/application-process/submitting-your-application) for a guide on how to apply for a role. Please note that you will be asked to add all documents in a PDF format into the one upload box during the application form.
Your application must include:
- A cover letter outlining your motivation to apply for this opportunity
- A statement addressing the five criteria listed below
- Post-graduate qualifications and extensive experience in the successful development and implementation of fundraising programs and mass engagement communication campaigns in a higher education or similar environment; ; or extensive fundraising or marketing and communications experience and proven management expertise; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver on both income and activity based KPIs and proven success in delivering large-scale engagement projects with various and diverse stakeholder groups through the negotiation and articulation of a case for support, powerful storytelling on the impact of community giving and fundraising communications that resulted in attracting donations through a donor centred best practice fundraising approach.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, inspiring, and motivating an externally focused and goal-driven team of fundraising professionals, with the ability to negotiate priorities, work with the team to meet donor-led deadlines and demonstrate innovation and initiative to succeed.
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to working in a client focussed manner, including an ability to build effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels of an organisation, as well as demonstrated experience within a high performing team.
- Highly developed leadership, communication and interpersonal skills and demonstrated experience developing philanthropic communications which have led to securing and retaining community support.
- Your resume
The University of Newcastle is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications for this position will only be accepted from those with Australian residency or a valid work permit.
Having Difficulties? Reach out to us:
- HR Services (+61 2) 4033 9999 (press 2) – during business hours (AEST)
- email: email@example.com
Closing date: Sunday 12th June 2022 at 11.59pm AUS Eastern Daylight Time
We are excited to be Looking Ahead with you!
How to apply
You will be redirected to the University's webpage. Please upload your application in one PDF document.
Please quote in application: Senior Manager, Community Fundraising and Donor Relations via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Education_and_Employment, #Foundations_Trusts_and_Philanthropy