About the organisation
We’re the largest independent nonprofit in Australia dedicated to backing the capacity, voice, and power of young changemakers. With a team of more than 50 strategists, advocates, facilitators and researchers (to name a few) our headquarters are in Melbourne (Naarm) but our teams work remotely around the country.
- We respect and back First Nations young people and their communities
- We back and serve young people
- We shift power to young people with lived experience
- We dream big
- We care about each other
- We are always learning
- We have fun
Our work is guided by a commitment to beating injustice and we strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people, young people, people of colour, women, people with disability, people from LGBTIQA+ communities, and more. We acknowledge our sector has systematically excluded these communities.
About the role
FYA is looking for a Program Manager to manage the delivery of the Young Mayors program at a state level, centering young people in decision-making roles by supporting local councils to pilot the initiative over a two year period.
Reporting to the Young Mayors Program Lead, the Program Manager will work closely with and support dedicated Program Assistants to set up and implement the program in each local government area (LGA), starting with one council in VIC and one in NSW or QLD.
The Program Manager will develop resources and deliver events, workshops and other activities key to the successful delivery of the Young Mayors Program. They will work directly with young people and local councils to design the program, building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders along the way.
Please see attached position description for more details regarding core responsibilities for the role.
The ideal candidate for this role will have many, if not all of these experiences and skills:
- You have experience in delivering programs focused on young people. You’re passionate about social justice and youth empowerment and know how to run programs for young people.
- You know how to build relationships with multiple stakeholders and have the experience to back it up. You can facilitate meetings with larger groups. Experience with local government is highly desirable.
- You understand the importance of nurturing a diverse community. You are committed to creating space for young people of all backgrounds and abilities. This includes First Nations young people, young people in regional and rural communities, LGBTQIA+ young people, young people with disabilities, women and non-binary young people, low-income communities and young people of colour.
- You have experience managing events and facilitating training and activities. You’re confident in front of a crowd, and can manage priorities, budgets, risk and know how to anticipate roadblocks and problem solve.
- You’re skilled at managing and coaching people. You have experience managing individuals, particularly in entry level roles. You know how to foster a culture of continual learning.
- You’re a great communicator. You have experience tailoring messaging to different audiences in different ways.
- You have experience implementing evaluation and monitoring tools that have informed program development.
- You have sophisticated analytical, problem solving and decision-making abilities, with solid listening, conflict resolution and negotiation skills and strong capacity to pivot when priorities and plans shift
How to apply
- Please include a detailed resume (no more than 3 pages)
- You will be asked two questions in your application in which you’re required to provide brief answers (no more than 500 words each).
- Please give a description of yourself and what excites you about this role and working for FYA
- How does your experience fit with who we're looking for?
Successful candidates will be called for a zoom interview.
Deadline 6pm AEST, 25/05/2022
For more information or a confidential discussion about the role contact:
Tahlia Azaria (She/Her)
Young Mayors Program Lead
For more information about the recruitment process:
People + Culture Coordinator
Please quote in application: Young Mayors Program Manager via Pro Bono Australia.