About the organisation
National Disability Services (NDS) is Australia's peak body for non-government disability service organisations, representing over 1200 service providers and their workforce of over 150 thousand people who collectively provide support services for nearly 2 million people with disability.
NDS has a strong and influential presence in every state and territory across Australia. Our core functions are to advocate to government for sector-wide changes and improvements, to inform our members about issues that impact them, and to provide resources and services that assist them to deliver sustainable high quality support services for people with disability.
NDS employees have the passion to make a difference, are driven to deliver the highest quality support and services to our members, and thrive in an environment of positive change and continuous improvement. If this sounds like you, check out this opportunity below! Or, to find out more about NDS, please visit our website.
About the role
- Full-time, 38 hours, 5 days per week
- Melbourne, but flexible with location
The Business Development Manager supports the ongoing financial sustainability of NDS by seeking out aligned opportunities to generate revenue and form strategic partnerships.
This vital role is responsible for the identification, pursuit, tracking and conversion of revenue generation opportunities across the organisation in the following key areas:
- Grant funding / Philanthropic funding for projects that are aligned with NDS strategy for priority policy areas such as Workforce, Employment, and Quality & Safeguards (in close collaboration with the Policy & Advocacy team and State & Territory Managers).
- State, Territory & Federal funding to support NDS core business activities and sector support and development work (in close collaboration with the State & Territory Managers).
- Market analysis and go-to-market strategies for new and existing NDS products and services for members and non-members (in close collaboration with the Member Services & Marketing team)
- Consultancy agreements with state, territory and federal governments (or as subcontractor to another party) to deliver projects for government agencies (in close collaboration with the Policy & Advocacy team and State & Territory Managers).
This role is also responsible for overseeing the business development processes, tools and templates and associated collateral for the organisation to ensure a healthy opportunity pipeline, quality and consistency in our sales process and opportunity proposals, as well as informative sales reporting for the organisation.
- Define the NDS value proposition and associated collateral for current and potential funders
- Work with Head of Policy & Advocacy and State & Territory managers to identify potential funding opportunities in federal and state government, as well as philanthropic organisations
- Work with Practice Leads and State & Territory Managers to understand target projects required to achieve NDS strategy, and match projects with funding sources
- Identify opportunities for government or other grant funding (such as philanthropic) and write / submit applications in collaboration with relevant internal stakeholders
- Develop funder briefs, talking points and other content for use by the CEO and other members of executive team in approaching prospects
Business Development Systems & Processes
- Identify, monitor and track the various grant funding sources and their cycles
- Oversee the end-to-end sales process, ensuring gated reviews with the leadership team at key points in the process
- Define standardised sales related policy, process, templates and systems for the organisation.
- Track sales pipeline and report key sales metrics to leadership
External Stakeholder Engagement
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with government and potential funders
- Build and maintain relationships with key consulting firms working in the sector to identify sub-contracting opportunities
- Build and maintain relationships with key suppliers of products and services associated with project delivery
- Represent NDS at external meetings with funders
Other Responsibilities (applicable for all NDS employees):
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required by manager/supervisor from time to time
- Comply with NDS’s policies and procedures at all times, including (but not limited to) HR, Quality, Work Health & Safety (WHS), IT, Security, and Data Privacy
- Demonstrate the NDS values of respect, teamwork & collaboration, leadership, innovation and accountability in all interactions
Skills & Experience
- A strong understanding of key policy issues related to disability sector, particularly workforce, quality & safeguards and employment of people with disability.
- Knowledge of and strong relationships with state, territory and/or government departments and agencies related to disability, and their corresponding funding cycles.
- Experience in taking new products and services to market, including completion of market analysis, business case development and creation and execution of a go-to-market strategy
- Demonstrated track record of business development results, including pipeline development, opportunity business case and proposal development, and deal pursuit and closure
- Highly-developed written and verbal communication skills across a variety of media
- Innovative thinking and problem-solving skills to implement solutions aligned to NDS’ strategic direction
- Demonstrated evidence of adaptability and resilience in a changing business context
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office Suite
- Relevant tertiary qualification, or equivalent experience
- Existing relationships with philanthropic organisations would be a plus
- Experience in a management consulting firm or IT consulting firm would be a plus
- Capacity to undertake regular travel within the state, and nationally as needed
What we Offer
- Flexible working opportunities
- Salary packaging benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Staff Rewards & Discounts program
- Learning and development opportunities
How to apply
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and value diversity and inclusion in our workplace. We encourage all applicants, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, LGBTIQ and culturally diverse communities to join NDS.
NDS will provide reasonable adjustments for individuals with disability throughout the recruitment process. If you identify as a person with disability and require adjustments to the application, recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise via firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 9256 3141 and indicate your preferred method of communication (email or phone).
Applications close: 5 July 2022. Please send your CV and a cover letter outlining your Skills & Experience in the areas listed above by clicking on the Apply button. For further information please contact email@example.com. Please do not send your application to this email address, as it's for enquiries only.
The successful applicant must be prepared to undertake a pre-employment police check. In addition, due to the inherent work, health and safety considerations and legislative requirements of this role, they must also be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (i.e. double dosed plus recommended booster doses) prior to commencing any work, unless medically exempt.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No agencies please.
Please quote in application: Business Development Manager via Pro Bono Australia.