About the organisation
ACON is Australia’s largest health organisation specialising in community health, inclusion, and HIV responses for people of diverse sexualities and genders.
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced Allied Health professional to use their clinical expertise in counselling and care coordination to support people of diverse sexualities and/or genders who are experiencing mental health difficulties, suicidal crises, sexual, domestic, and family violence, and people living and/or affected by HIV. This position is suited to Allied Health professionals with experience working in the mental health sector and multidisciplinary teams.
ACONs Client Services:
We provide a range of confidential short-term counselling and care coordination services (up to 12 sessions) for LGBTQ+ people and people living with HIV seeking support for their mental health and wellbeing. Our counsellors and care coordinators use a range of short-term, evidence-based therapeutic interventions, care planning, advocacy, and building referral pathways to better equip people to deal with life’s challenges.
The role’s key responsibilities:
- Conduct suicide risk assessments and safety management planning with clients and provide evidence-based psychological counselling and care coordination for people who have recently made a suicide attempt or are at high risk of suicide.
- Conduct psycho-social assessments and identify the need for immediate short-term solution-focused assistance for clients and make referrals for longer-term support in relevant cases.
- Maintain a caseload of clients providing care coordination and/or psychological counselling services using a range of evidence-based strategies and interventions
- Work with clients presenting with multiple and complex needs to develop care plans, navigate health, medical and community services, and develop self-management skills.
- Support people who have been newly diagnosed with HIV, are living longer term with HIV or are at risk of HIV.
- Assess, manage, safety plan and deliver therapeutic interventions for people who have or are experiencing sexual, domestic, or family violence.
- Work in collaboration with crisis services and mental health services to ensure appropriate levels of care and support for the individual.
- Work collaboratively with Mental Health LGBTQ+ Peer Workers.
How to apply
This position is located at the ACON Northern Rivers Office in Lismore.
For more information, questions, or if you would like to discuss this role, please contact:
Daniel McCarthy, Associate Director of Regional Services, firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 4962 7700
All applications must include:
- a completed ACON application form;
- a document addressing BOTH the essential and desirable selection criteria; and
- your resume.
Please download the Job Application Guide at https://www.acon.org.au/about-acon/jobs/
Applications close at 5:00 PM Monday, 11 July 2022.
ACON is an EEO employer. As part of our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, people with HIV and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please quote in application: Counsellor / Care Coordinator – Northern Rivers via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Development, #Drug_Alcohol_and_Addiction, #LGBTIQ, #Mental_Health