About the organisation
About the role
At Caritas Australia, we have a vision to end poverty, promote justice and uphold dignity for all. We partner with the most vulnerable communities to help them build better outcomes by improving access to sustainable livelihoods, clean water, sanitation and education.
The Government Relations Lead is a newly created role within the new Impact department at Caritas Australia. This position with lead Caritas Australia’s political engagement in the context of our advocacy strategy.
More about the role
Reporting to the Advocacy Associate Director, the Government Relations Lead will develop and implement strategies to build our relationships and engagement with the government, government agencies and parliamentarians to help pursue our advocacy agenda and social justice goals. Key responsibilities will include (but not limited to):
- Building on strong and effective relationships with political and departmental stakeholders, including the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- Contributing to the development and implementation of Caritas Australia’s government engagement strategy.
- Driving Caritas Australia’s participation in sector-wide government relations strategies and initiatives
- Providing advice and support internally for effective engagement with government stakeholders.
For this role, we are seeking an articulate and confident individual, with a mix of the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Direct experience of political and policy making processes and a deep understanding of the Australian political landscape.
- Experience within government, including the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, or the ability to engage with government departments and agencies effectively and strategically.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior decision-makers in federal parliament and the government, and with all sides of politics.
- Advanced interpersonal, verbal and written communication, influencing, negotiation and advocacy skills.
- Sound judgement and excellent decision-making capability
Applicants must have full Australian working rights, and be available to work from Canberra.
Why should you consider working for Caritas Australia?
Working at Caritas Australia, you will join a team of like-minded individuals who are passionate about tackling poverty and injustice. As part of the Caritas Australia team, you will also benefit from:
- Flexible working arrangements to maintain your work/life balance, including work from home and flexible hours;
- Continued professional development and learning, with on-the-job mentoring and coaching;
- Not-for-Profit salary packaging;
- Annual remuneration and benefits reviews to ensure you are fairly compensated for your contribution to Caritas Australia; and
- Knowing that you are playing a critical role in enhancing the lives of vulnerable groups globally.
For any further questions or enquiries, please contact the recruitment team at People.Culture@caritas.org.au or call (02) 8488 8419. Otherwise, please submit you cover letter and CV through the relevant links.
Our commitment to safeguarding
At Caritas Australia, we recognise the personal dignity and rights of all people, especially children and vulnerable adults towards whom we have a special responsibility. If you are offered this position, you will be required to undergo relevant background checks, including police checks and reference checks. If the position requires a Working with Children Check or foreign police check, it is your responsibility to obtain one before starting work. You will also be required to sign our Code of Conduct which includes a section on Professional Behaviour Standards for the Protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults as well as to abide by our safeguarding policies.
Our commitment to diversity
At Caritas Australia, we support an inclusive and diverse workforce. In particular we encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants for all advertised positions.
Our commitment to safety and wellbeing
As part of the recruitment process for this role, you may be required to undertake various background checks. You may also be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
How to apply
Please quote in application: Government Relations Lead via Pro Bono Australia.