About the organisation
Jesuit Social Services is a social change organisation working to build a just society where all people can live to their full potential.
Since 1977, Jesuit Social Services has provided services to some of the most disadvantaged in our community.
We place a high priority on advocacy and are a leader in policy development and research.
About the role
About the role
A Stop It Now! Practitioner is responsible for offering empathetic and non-judgmental support and advice to individuals contacting the helpline regarding their own or someone else’s sexual thoughts and/or behaviours towards children. Practitioners should ensure individuals contacting us are held accountable for their actions, while assisting them to make positive changes to ensure the safety of children.
Practitioners will aid in the on-going appraisal and development of the Stop It Now! programme including the completion of comprehensive summaries of helpline calls and regular debrief/reflective procedures. They may also aid in internal and external research projects and empirical reports.
The successful candidate will aid in development and maintenance of sufficient scientific and experiential knowledge regarding the prevention of child sexual abuse, and apply this knowledge on the helpline, and anonymous email systems.
This is a part time position based in our Richmond Office. Competitive remuneration, plus salary packaging benefit, is offered together with ongoing professional and career development.
About the program
Stop it Now! seeks to prevent child sexual abuse and offending involving online child abuse material. It currently operates successfully in North America, the United Kingdom, Ireland and the Netherlands, having been first established by a victim-survivor of child sexual abuse in the U.S. Jesuit Social Services has received funding to pilot Stop it Now! in Australia. Noting the recent Federal Government commitment in the National Strategy to Prevent and Respond to Child Sexual Abuse to fund a Stop it Now! style program in Australia, we look forward to the opportunity to seek further funding to expand this pilot.
The program’s key feature is an anonymous phone helpline for people who are worried about their own sexual thoughts and behaviours in relation to children, as well as professionals and family members who are concerned about the behaviour of others. The service also includes a website with advice, self-help materials and guidance to raise awareness around child abuse. Stop it Now! is dedicated to reducing or eliminating the sexual abuse and exploitation of children and seeks to achieve this by engaging with adults who may go on to harm children. While the service can be accessed both anonymously and confidentially, all mandatory reporting guidelines will be complied with.
The Jesuit Social Services Scoping Study is available at: https://jss.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Stop-It-Now.pdf
This role will suit a candidate with the following skills and experience:
Commitment to and demonstrated practice experience:
- with people who are concerned about their sexual thoughts towards children or have perpetrated child sexual abuse.
- with children who are at risk of experiencing child sexual abuse and their families
- supporting other professionals and non-offending family members respond to concerns related to child sexual abuse.
- working on a helpline managing difficult and challenging topics
- Knowledge of practice frameworks and approaches for working with serious offenders and/or child protection issues.
- Motivation to achieve a just society, and a world where no child experiences sexual abuse
- Commitment to a compassionate and empathetic approach when working with a diverse range of service users and staff
- Knowledge and understanding of primary, secondary and tertiary prevention
- Due to the nature and scope of the role the postholder will need to be flexible and able to adjust his/her working schedules and practices to meet the demands of the role.
What Jesuit Social Services can offer you:
- A comprehensive Induction and Orientation program
- Ongoing role related training and development
- An organisation that lives their values, through our day to day work
- A welcoming and supportive environment
- Employee assistance program
- A competitive salary plus salary packaging benefits
- Generous leave
Jesuit Social Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. We celebrate and welcome all people regardless of ethnicity, cultural background, age, gender, sexuality, disability or religious affiliation.
Jesuit Social Services is a Child Safe organisation and is committed to protecting children and young people from harm. We require all applicants to undergo an extensive screening process prior to appointment.
You are required to meet the behaviour standards outlined in our Code of Conduct.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Helpline Practitioner, Stop It Now! via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Support_Services, #Health_–_General