About the organisation
About the role
- Provides advice across a variety of legal areas, to all levels and parts of the organisation including the Board
- Salary packaging options and flexible work options available
- Join an Award-Winning and collaborative Legal Team
Do you want to work with a leading purpose driven, community-based organisation?
SSI’s vision is to achieve a society that values the diversity of its people and actively provides support to ensure meaningful social and economic participation and to assist individuals and families to reach their potential.
ABOUT THE ROLE
An amazing opportunity has arisen to join an award-winning and collaborative Legal Team that makes a positive social impact. This exciting role is critical to the SSI Group Legal Team, advising on the majority of SSI Group’s legal matters across the whole organisation and a range of legal areas. You will have autonomy to run your own legal matters with minimal supervision. Working as part of a close-knit team, the Legal Counsel will also contribute to preparing and delivering legal education within the organisation, and other team-wide projects.
Key responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Provide sound legal advice to internal management on key areas of legal and compliance risk across all areas of the organisation;
- Draft and review legal documents, and prepare legal templates where necessary;
- Identify and mitigate legal risks pertaining to general commercial matters, and assisting with strategies which reduce and/or eliminate unacceptable exposure to regulatory risks;
- Deliver legal education to the organisation;
- Review organisational and departmental policies and procedures to ensure compliance with legal, legislative and contractual requirements;
- Review and communicate legal changes, keeping the organisation informed in relation to State and Federal legislation and regulations relevant to SSI Group’s operations; and
- Manage and undertake special legal projects as required.
Essential criteria for the successful candidate
- A collaborative, approachable and team friendly demeanor.
- Someone who embraces diversity, has a holistic approach and is proactive.
- Passionate about understanding the business and their clients within the business.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to advise in non-legal terms.
- Organised, able to prioritise with experience in meeting deadlines and able to work well under pressure.
- The ability to work both independently and within a team, including the ability to run your own legal matters with minimal supervision.
- High attention to detail plus highly analytical, with the ability to think outside the box and reach practical solutions.
- Proficient with the MS Office Suite and ability to quickly learn new technologies.
- A law degree with 4-6 years post qualification experience.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a commercial lawyer or relevant experience as an in-house lawyer. A good knowledge and understanding of commercial contracts is a must.
- Experience in the Not-for-Profit sector.
- Employment law, intellectual property, litigation and/or public and administrative law experience would be advantageous.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT SSI
- Generous salary packaging options (see below)
- Flexible working arrangements
- Access to SSI’s Wellness Program
- 9-day fortnight [Work 70 hours over nine days to earn a day off]
- Additional leave entitlements
- Working alongside professional and dedicated team members all wanting to make a difference in our communities
With the offer of Salary Packaging, you can use up to $15,900 of your salary to pay for everyday expenses before income tax is calculated, meaning you pay less tax and have more money to spend. That’s because your salary packaging money is deducted first and then your tax is calculated on the remaining amount.
ABOUT OUR RECRUITMENT PROCESS
At SSI we have a zero-tolerance for child abuse and is committed to creating and maintaining a child safe organisation where protecting children and preventing and responding to child abuse is embedded in the everyday thinking and practice of all employees. All employees will undergo a National Police Clearance and a Working with Children Check as a condition of employment. SSI expects all applicants who can be safely vaccinated for COVID-19, to be so. This is also a pre-condition to ongoing employment.
How to apply
If excited by the information above, we look forward to receiving your application, including your resume and cover letter expressing your interest and suitability for the role with the selection criteria.
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered (please ensure your cover letter is uploaded as a separate document, not combined with the CV or the application may be filtered out).
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so you are encouraged to submit your application as soon as possible.
Closing Date 7 July 2022
Inclusion and diversity
SSI recognises that diversity in our workforce better equips us to support our clients' individualised aspirations and goals. So, if you're a person living with a disability, an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person, part of the LGBTQIA+ community, from a culturally or linguistically diverse background or unique in any other w ay we would love to hear from you.
SSI is a Disability Confident Recruiter, and our Talent Acquisition team can assist in; providing alternative formats to apply, making adjustments to the recruitment process and offering information about workplace adjustments and support networks.
Should you require adjustments please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Nicola on 0421 646 498.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander viewers are warned that the following video may contain images and footage of deceased persons - viewer discretion is advised.
Please quote in application: Legal Counsel via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Law_Justice_and_Human_Rights, #Overseas_Aid_and_Development