About the organisation
About your environment
Since our establishment in 1936, Cancer Council Victoria has developed an international reputation for our innovative work in cancer research, prevention and support. As an independent, not-for-profit organisation, we play a leading role in reducing the impact of all cancers on all people.
The McCabe Centre for Law & Cancer (the Centre) is a joint initiative of Cancer Council and the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC). Its mission is to contribute to the effective use of law for cancer prevention, treatment, supportive care and research globally. The Centre conducts research, policy development and training, and develops and disseminates materials on the relationship between law and cancer control. The Centre collaborates with key international organisations including the World Health Organization and is a WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) Knowledge Hub.
About the role
About your opportunity
We are seeking a Legal Policy Advisor to join the McCabe Centre for Law & Cancer. Reporting to the Manager – Prevention your role is to:
- Conduct high-quality legal and policy research and analysis in relation to law and noncommunicable diseases prevention and related issues in global health
- Provide advice to the Director and the Manager of Prevention on relevant legal and policy issues in relation to the prevention of noncommunicable diseases
- Play a key role in the development and delivery of our International Legal Training Program, which has led to law and policy change in more than 22 countries
- Manage relationships with key external stakeholders, including the World Health Organization, other international organizations and foreign governments
- Provide high-quality strategic input into our activities in relation to noncommunicable diseases prevention
All about you
We are looking for someone with:
- Relevant degree in law and admission to legal practice or eligibility for admission to practice in Victoria.
- Substantial relevant work experience in law and/or legal policy.
- Excellent legal and policy writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct first-class legal research and analysis.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex legal and policy issues in simple form to both legal and non-legal audiences, in written and verbal form.
How to apply
To apply for this opportunity, visit https://cancer-council-vic.applynow.net.au/jobs/CCV101 to download a Position Description and upload your Resume and Cover Letter. Please ensure that your cover letter addresses the Key Selection Criteria detailed within the Position Description.
For more information contact Suzanne Zhou at Suzanne.Zhou@mccabecentre.org
Please quote in application: Legal Policy Advisor (parental leave cover) via Pro Bono Australia.