About the organisation
ACON is Australia’s largest health organisation specialising in community health, inclusion and HIV responses for people of diverse sexualities and genders.
About the role
Community Health Promotion Officer (Regional Outreach) Northern Rivers
- Full-time permanent position available, 70 hours per fortnight
- Work to improve the health and wellbeing of our communities.
- ACON provides a colourful, nurturing, and fun workplace.
ACON provides services to people living with or affected by HIV (PLHIV), and to sexuality and gender diverse people. This position is responsible for:
Planning and delivering health promotion and community development responses for people with HIV (PWH) and sexuality and gender diverse communities in the Northern Rivers Region of NSW. This position involves frequent travel within NSW.
ACONs Regional Health Promotion Services:
ACON provides outreach to regional areas of NSW to extend the reach of our services, campaigns and health messages. We seek to provide a regular connection and build relationships with regional LGBTQ+ communities and people with HIV. Our outreach teams are based in Lismore, Newcastle, and Sydney and visit regional NSW towns and sites regularly to undertake peer education, health promotion, and community development.
The role’s tasks and responsibilities:
- Targeted evidence-based health promotion, community development and engagement activities with PWH and LGBTQ+ communities and individuals
- Delivery of peer education in partnership with community-based organisations, Local Health Districts and other relevant stakeholders
- Support the regional implementation of ACON’s state-wide HIV prevention strategy and other Key LGBTQ+ health promotion initiatives.
- Work in partnership with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities and services to meet the HIV and sexual health promotion needs of LGBTQ+ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, including brotherboys and sistergirls.
- Maintain and strengthen partnerships.
- Coordinate LGBTQ+ inclusion and HIV and sexual health outreach at community events.
- Implement a range of online outreach activities, including maintaining a social media presence, and engage in health promotion across other mediums accessed by ACON’s communities.
- Act as a gateway by engaging with community members, informing and facilitate referrals to ACON state-wide services, Local Health Districts, or other service providers.
- Support local ACON health and wellbeing services, including volunteering, education, group activities and HIV/STI testing, as peer workers
- Amplify the voice of the Northern Rivers LGBTQ+ communities in research; partnering and promoting local research initiatives to inform Health Sector planning. Assess relevant results and communicate to LGBTQ+ communities.
- Advocacy and capacity building to build inclusive local services and professional practice with mainstream and community-based services accessed by ACON’s communities.
- Contribute to administrative and team activities to ensure the smooth operation of ACON Northern Rivers.
- Maintain accurate records of health promotion project activities including monitoring effectiveness.
- Set priorities, plan and organise work and contribute to strategic planning.
- Implement assigned activities from ACON’s Reconciliation Action Plan
- Actively participate in and contribute to an ongoing process of supervision, team meetings, quality improvement and professional development.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Manager (or designate).
Job Requirements (Skills and Experience):
- Demonstrated experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of community development and health promotion programs within a community organisation context.
- Demonstrated understanding of sexual and general health issues and the information needs of gay men and the sexuality and gender diverse community.
- Proven ability to plan and undertake health promotion outreach activities across a wide geographical area and to provide appropriate client referrals as required.
- Ability to meet deadlines when working independently or remotely when there are competing demands and timeframes.
- High level interpersonal skills including excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to work as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated high level skills in the establishment and management of a range of internal and external stakeholder relationships and a proven ability to respond appropriately to competing demands and interests.
- Understanding of and commitment to ACON’s rural and regional communities, particularly people with HIV.
- Applicants must provide evidence of double Covid 19 Vaccination, in addition to any other vaccination required to perform the role.
- A current NSW driver’s licence and ability to travel frequently.
$64K to $78K (1.0 FTE Gross Salary) commensurate with skills and experience (Plus superannuation and leave loading). You may also elect to salary package a portion of your salary (up to $30,000 gross-up value) tax-free.
This position is located at the ACON Northern Rivers Office in Lismore.
For more information, questions, or if you would like to discuss this role, please contact:
Daniel McCarthy, Associate Director of Regional Services, email@example.com or (02) 4962 7700
ACON is an EEO employer. As part of our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, people with HIV and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
All applications must include:
- a completed ACON application form;
- a document addressing BOTH the essential and desirable selection criteria; and
- your resume.
Please download the Job Application Guide at https://www.acon.org.au/about-acon/jobs/
Applications close at 5:00 PM Thursday, 01 September 2022.
Please quote in application: Community Health Promotion (Regional Outreach) Northern Rivers via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Development, #Community_Engagement, #Community_Support_Services, #LGBTIQ