About the organisation
About the role
The Federation of Community Legal Centres Victoria (the Federation) is a fast-paced and dynamic organisation that leads and supports excellence in the community legal sector, promotes the purpose and value of Community Legal Centres, and advances social justice and a fair legal system. It is the peak body for Victoria’s 46 Community Legal Centres (CLCs), who are at the forefront of helping those facing economic, cultural or social disadvantage and whose life circumstances are severely affected by legal challenges. The Federation’s vision is for a community that is fair, inclusive, and thriving, where every person belongs and can learn, grow, heal, participate and be heard.
The Senior Legal Policy Adviser will play a convening role, working collaboratively with the Federation team and membership to develop sector and legal policy and advocate for law reform, advising how best to influence decision makers to affect and implement the change we want to see – from policy development through to policy implementation.
The Senior Legal Policy Adviser will contribute to research and evidence building across the sector and the development of best practice service planning and design. The role will provide critical legal analysis of law and policies; and develop effective legal policy submissions, policy implementation approaches, and best practice service models. With a strong focus on stakeholder engagement, the Senior Legal Policy Adviser will convene and work with members to improve legal outcomes for communities. The Senior Legal Policy Adviser will also build and develop collaborative relationships with Community Legal Centres Australia, other relevant peak bodies, the community sector, the Victorian legal profession, and government agency partners, consultants and funders.
- You have a strong understanding of how the law and legal system can impact social disadvantage and inequality.
- You thrive on building the solutions and strategy for change.
- You have demonstrated capacity to build consensus and work collaboratively with stakeholders to develop sector and legal policy, support policy implementation, and encourage the development of best practice service delivery models that positively impact communities.
- You’re passionate about social justice and systemic change and ideally have a broad range of experience across key practice areas of the Federation’s members including civil, family violence, criminal, family law, and mental health.
- You possess sound analytical and conceptual skills, with the ability to identify and analyse problems, and then develop appropriate solutions and recommendations.
- With excellent written and verbal communication skills, you have the capacity to describe complex issues in plain language to a range of audiences.
- You have an Australian law degree and sound legal practice experience (non-practicing lawyers with experience in similar roles or with transferable skills will be considered). Experience in the Community Legal Sector is highly regarded.
The Federation is committed to providing a working environment that is friendly, collaborative and positive. It offers generous salary packaging; flexible work arrangements to support employees with work-life balance; Christmas and New Year shut-down leave; access to an Employee Assistance Program and learning and development opportunities.
APPLY NOW if you are passionate about social justice and want to use your legal, policy and advocacy skills to drive social change at a leading peak body representing Victoria’s community legal centres.
The Federation is based in Melbourne CBD and offer flexible work practices. Interstate applicants are also invited to apply.
Gembridge is proud to partner with the Federation.
For a confidential discussion, contact Jenni D’Orival or Michelle Varcoe at Gembridge on 03 8375 9661 or firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
Please quote in application: Senior Legal Policy Adviser via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Development, #Law_Justice_and_Human_Rights