About the organisation
In the face of rising levels of unmet legal need, Justice Connect designs and delivers high impact interventions to increase access to legal support and progress social justice.
Justice Connect’s Access Program is a multidisciplinary team of in-house legal, data, project, and service design expertise. We collaborate to increase access to legal assistance and progress social justice by responding quickly to a wide range of legal problems with a particular focus on disaster response, financial rights and employment law problems. We have expertise in dealing with issues that have escalated to court proceedings with a long history of running court-based services across a range of jurisdictions.
Our legal services use a range of approaches including specialist advice, pro bono referrals (leveraging our network of over 10,000 pro bono lawyers) and online resources to help people experiencing legal problems. We also operate weekly pro bono clinics for help seekers involved in litigation in Victorian courts, Federal courts and VCAT.
Our strategy commits us to identifying ways to scale legal help with digital solutions, including our in-house developed digital platform, Justice Connect Answers (JCA). We seek to identify and respond quickly to emerging legal need in the community. In all our work, we centre client experience and our commitment to impact.
About the role
In this role, you’ll work to:
- Deliver a strong legal practice with a focus on improving the Justice Connect Answers legal practice and use of the platform, and outcomes for clients.
- Build and maintain strong stakeholder relationships to maintain confidence in our legal services, innovative approaches and to support service delivery collaboration.
- Identify risks and issues impacting stakeholder relationships, service delivery and projects.
- Contribute to and as required lead organisational processes, process improvement, which may include integration of digital channels to service models.
Our ideal candidate
You’ll bring to the team experience in the following areas:
Experience supervising intake, triage and provision of legal assistance.
- A demonstrated commitment to continuous improvements to legal service delivery and taking a client-centred approach to development of responses to unmet legal need.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to successfully build and maintain key relationships, including with sector collaborators and internal stakeholders
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and agility with openness to pivoting as organisational priorities change
- (Desirable) Post admission experience in one or more of the relevant areas of civil law, including credit and debt, tenancy matters and/or general contractual disputes.
Candidates will need to demonstrate commitment to Justice Connect’s vision, strategy and values.
A week in this role
If you were here last week, you would have:
- Participated in a meeting with a key stakeholder about the use of Justice Connect Answers to complement other higher-intensity services and to provide early intervention legal support to people with some legal capability
- Discussed legal advice provided by a pro bono lawyer as part of Justice Connect Answers and considered feedback of the file reviewing lawyer
- Collaborated with a colleague to deliver a 45-minute presentation to all staff of Justice Connect on our program’s multi-intensity, multi-channel strategy for provision of legal help and how to make internal referrals to our innovative service
- Met with a key referrer to discuss referral pain points and opportunities to streamline the referral process
- Participated in a workshop with the Manager, Innovation and Head of Access Program, developing our proposal to an innovation funder to support improvement and scaling of Justice Connect Answers
- Completed a legal review of a draft digital outreach campaign promoting our services and the types of legal problems we can assist with
- Collaborated with a pro bono firm to develop and draft a new self-help resource in response to an emerging legal need
- Attended a team meeting to celebrate successes, provide updates and confirm the focus of project activities for the upcoming fortnight
- Caught up with colleagues for coffee on one of our mutual days in the office
How to apply
Please upload your resume and a cover letter which outlines your skills and experience that will help you achieve success in this role.
For further information contact Emma Ryan 02 8316 0519
Applications close 29 November 2023 at 11:59 PM.
Important role information
The position reports to the Manager of Innovation- Acccess Program.
This employment is parental leave backfill, part time (30 hours per week) fixed term until 13 December 2024 (12 months contract).
The salary for this role is $105,965.63 per annum (pro rata) (plus 11% superannuation) with annual leave loading and generous salary packaging options.
This role can be based at our Melbourne or Sydney CBD offices with 40% of the month in the workplace with hybrid working arrangements.
Please quote in application: Senior Lawyer (parental leave back fill) via Pro Bono Australia.