About the organisation
Jesuit Social Services is a social change organisation working to build a just society where all people can live to their full potential. We reflect on the critical factors shaping our contemporary world; the social, political and economic contexts, and we adapt our practice to work with those most in need.
Since 1977, Jesuit Social Services has provided services to some of the most disadvantaged in our community.
We place a high priority on advocacy and are a leader in policy development and research.
About the role
The StandBy Support After Suicide Lived Experience Worker is responsible for assisting the two Coordinators in delivering support for people bereaved or impacted by suicide, community engagement, education and training, as well as other events and activities as directed by the Coordinators.
The successful applicant must reside in Melbourne Metropolitan or Gippsland.
Competitive remuneration, plus salary packaging benefit, is offered together with ongoing professional and career development as well as opportunities for personal growth.
What Jesuit Social Services can offer you:
- An organisation that lives its values, through its day to day work
- A welcoming and supportive relational environment
- A comprehensive Induction and Orientation program
- Ongoing training and development related to your role
- Employee assistance program
- A competitive salary plus salary packaging benefits
- Generous leave
This role will suit a candidate with the following skills and experience:
- Lived experience of suicide bereavement
- Highly desirable training and experience in either Suicide Prevention Peer Worker Training (Roses in the Ocean), Our Voice in Action (Roses in the Ocean), Voices Insight (Roses in the Ocean) Intentional Peer Support (IPS) and/or Cert IV in Mental Health Peer Support
- Demonstrated, well developed interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to work effectively both as part of a team and with a broad range of stakeholders
- Highly compassionate and attentive to details
- Experience and/or knowledge in providing peer support including trauma response and self-care management practices
About the program
StandBy Support After Suicide is Australia’s leading suicide postvention program dedicated to assisting people and communities bereaved or impacted by suicide. The program offers coordinated evidence-based support and resources (including connections to local services and groups) that is individualised for each person’s unique circumstance. This support is continued for up to two years to ensure those that engage with StandBy are not alone and receive ongoing support. StandBy builds community preparedness and resilience through extensive training to community and professional groups to ensure effectiveness and that duplicated effort is avoided. The program is also ideally placed to offer a settings-based approach, providing group support after a suicide for schools, workplaces and community groups.
How to apply
- Upload your resume and cover letter incorporating your responses to the Key Selection Criteria from the Position Description.
- For further information please contact Shaun Walsh, Manager StandBy Support After Suicide on 0460 303 295.
Position description can be found here (copy and paste URL into your browser):
Applications close at 5pm on Friday 23rd February 2024.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and the closing date may be subject to change without notice.
Jesuit Social Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. We celebrate and welcome all people regardless of ethnicity, cultural background, age, gender, sexuality, disability or religious affiliation.
We strongly encourage applications from all community members including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, members of the LGBTIQA+ community, people with a disability, people of culturally diverse backgrounds and working parents.
Jesuit Social Services is a Child Safe organisation and is committed to protecting children and young people from harm. We require all applicants to undergo an extensive screening process prior to appointment.
Please quote in application: Lived Experience Worker Standby Support After Suicide via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Development, #Community_Support_Services