NFP and Charity specialists. Providing audit, accounting, tax concessions, remuneration advice and other consulting services. We have a broad range of knowledge and experience to support our clients and their mission.
Contribution to the NFP sector
Saward Dawson has a significant involvement in the not-for-profit sector. We have a team of experts that have experience in the areas required by not-for-profit organisations – audit and assurance, structuring, accounting solutions, tax concessions, GST and fringe benefits tax. Our staff are very supportive of not-for-profit organisations and many personally involved. Our senior staff regularly presents at seminars on not for profit topics and prepare newsletters focused on not-for-profit issues.
Service and relationships
We know and appreciate the value of enduring, personal client relationships. These principles form the cornerstone of Saward Dawson’s client service philosophy. We believe in personal service that is relevant and delivering value for money. We are able to deliver an extensive range of services to our clients whilst building worthwhile, lasting relationships.
We are committed to upholding the professional standards of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and endeavour to display the utmost integrity and honesty as we serve our clients, our staff and our communities both local and further afield.
At Saward Dawson, we are genuine in the pursuit of the highest standards in professionalism and ethics. In an environment where clients demand value for money whilst seeking the highest in professionalism and ethics, we strive for excellence. We combine our expertise with a genuine desire to make a difference in the lives of both clients and staff.
Products and services
Saward Dawson offers a range of not-for-profit services. Some of them include:
- Audit and Assurance
- Accounting support
- Tax compliance
- Establishment and set up
- Financial reporting
- Internal audit
- Corporate governance
- Control reviews
- Income tax exemption
- GST Concessions
- Salary packaging benefits
- Donations and fund raising
- School building funds
What is our Charities/Not-for-profit Review Service about?
All charities and NFPs should act now to prepare for and respond to the once-in-a-generation reforms in the not-for-profit sector. Saward Dawson is providing an initial review service, enabling charities to assess the impact of the changes on their organisation.
Our review provides charities with a report on the following:
- Existing structures, constituent documents, tax endorsements and concessions enjoyed.
- Any key areas of risk associated with the current tax status.
- Initial assessment of the reforms that may impact the organisation.
- Assessment of where further advice or action is required and timelines for actioning.
- An update on progress of the reforms affecting you.
- Future obligations, including ACNC annual information statements, statutory account preparation and audits.
Ongoing ATO compliance activity
The ATO runs an ongoing compliance program to ensure that charities and other not-for-profit entities are complying with the requirements of the tax concessions they are claiming and preparing supporting documentation. Tax concessions that may come under ATO scrutiny include DGR status, income tax exemption and GST and FBT concessions. Saward Dawson can help maintain compliance with tax concession requirements. We are currently offering a review service that covers the follow areas:
- Income tax exempt status
- DGR status
- GST concessions
- Salary packaging options & FBT concessions
- Mutual organisations
- Public and private ancillary funds
Charities Review Service
Saward Dawson is able to guide your organisation on its financial reporting requirements and highlight the impact of the proposed changes. It is critical that organisations plan well ahead and understand the impact of the changes and what this will mean for your statutory financial reporting and well as your data collection.
Auditors – Audit assurance
The cost and resources necessary to comply with legal obligations places a significant burden on business. Organisations of all types and sizes need trustworthy business partners and advisers. Saward Dawson takes a genuine interest in each of our clients, building relationships and taking the time to understand their business and the environment in which they operate.
Audit and assurance services can deliver real value to your business – our audit process is more than checking the numbers.
Our Audit and Assurance team goes beyond the traditional financial reporting obligations, monitoring our clients’ business performance and understanding their immediate and on-going health. We seek to identify opportunities not just the risks.
We place an emphasis on systems, risk exposure, accounting policies and governance issues. We take the time to understand our clients’ business and the environment in which they operate so that they can achieve their objectives.
Sectors in which we specialise
Some of the sectors that Saward Dawson are specialists in are:
- Aid and Development
- Aged Care
Community health, aged care and disability consulting
As auditors and advisors to aged care, disability, community health, employment and training organisations; we are intensely aware of the structural change that individualisation, marketisation and price deregulation are causing. Rather than just sitting on the sidelines, we’ve been working with our clients and peak bodies, including NDS, to provide best practice analysis on strategic, financial and operational change in this sector including:
Due diligence, enterprise assessment and ongoing audit of disability employment services, Australian disability enterprises, registered training
- organisations and community health providers
- Intensive costing and pricing training funded by the Practical Design Fund
- NDS Change Challenge speaker series delivered to Victorian providers addressing the financial implications of the NDIS
- Assessment of potential cost impacts driven by Fair Work, Australia’s equal remuneration order and Victoria’s transition to the modern award framework
- Peer analysis and independent critique of support service portfolios
- Analysis of the impact of individualisation in relation to enterprise management systems and revenue recognition in flexible support packages
- Analysis and advice in relation to the Australian Charities and Not-For-Profit Commission implementation
Innovative business advisers
No matter what size or stage, every business needs immediate issues solved and long term strategies in place
As a business owner, it is essential for you to comply with the seemingly bewildering complexities of reporting and legislative obligations. However, it is just as vital for you to plan for the future.
Saward Dawson goes beyond the important, obligatory compliance issues. We help you to create strategies that will maximise your business’ potential. This enables you to concentrate on what you do best, run your business.
- Business structuring
- Valuations and viability
- Strategic planning
- Succession planning
- Improving financial performance
- Managing your affairs
- Tax planning
- Compliance and legal obligations
- Financial planning is more than just simply providing investment advice. It is a comprehensive process which takes account of your existing circumstances, helping to define your goals and priorities, so that appropriate and suitable financial strategies can be put in place to achieve your objectives. Such strategies may encompass superannuation and retirement planning, tax and estate planning, regular savings plans, as well as investment and risk management.
- Financial planning is also a continuous process which must take into account changes in your needs, goals and priorities and the changing financial environment to ensure that your financial and investment strategies continue to be relevant.
Examples of work
3MBS’s brings the finest of music to Melbourne’s listening audience. It was a pioneer of Australian community radio.
The Australian Council for Educational Research is one of the world’s leading educational research centres. They have an international reputation for excellence.
.id help shape Australia by producing websites that make sense of the Australian census data. Their clients plan and provide infrastructure that will serve Australians for decades. The information they receive from .id helps them to plan with certainty.
Advertising the “World’s Most Useful Gift Catalogue” is a pretty tall claim. But TEAR do amazing work with some of the world’s most marginalised people. Their claim might be right on the money.
WaterAid are a new Australian not-for-profit agency is preparing to bring fresh, clean water and improved sanitation to people in developing countries.
The Western Private Hospital plays a vital role in the delivery of health services to both Melbourne and regional Victoria. It makes a very significant contribution to the lives of many people.
Holyoake has the reputation as an innovative leader in their industry. With a proud history starting in New Zealand, they are now the leading supplier of air distribution equipment in the Asia-Pacific region.
Open House is a registered charity who is making a genuine difference in the lives of many of Melbourne’s under-privileged people.
When disaster strikes as was the case in Haiti, it is the people with disabilities that are most often forgotten. CBM is committed to helping people living with disabilities in the world’s poorest countries.
The Wheeler Centre is a community that is engaging people locally and globally through writing, thinking and communication.
Strathcona is a unique, medium-sized girls’ school with three separate campuses located in Melbourne’s inner Eastern suburbs.
Thankyou Group is a consumer movement that empowers you to fund life-changing projects through simple choices in your everyday life.