About the role
Seeking National Board and Board Committee members
The Y seeks new National Board and Board Committee members to ensure Y Australia has the range of skills, knowledge, expertise and diversity of representation that it needs as it enters an exciting phase of growth and opportunity.
At a landmark time in the organisation’s global history with its first co-designed, big-picture strategy, the National Board and Committees will assist the Y to deliver on its bold commitment to drive systemic change and impact for young people across four pillars: meaningful work; a just world; community wellbeing, and sustainable planet.
National Board and Committee members will ensure the Y Australia Board plays its crucial role in governing the Y in Australia, enabling the health of the movement and providing national strategic leadership. The National Board holds accountability for the success of: Y Australia’s National Office, including its new national advocacy, public policy and research function; Y Australia’s Y Safeguarding harm prevention entity; and the newly established Y Careers agency, driving meaningful employment for young people.
The National Board also plays a critical national and international role in support of Y Australia’s National Chief Executive Officer, facilitating collaboration across sectors and internationally, including fostering relationships within the World and Asia Pacific YMCA movements, and leading the World Y movement with the Vision 2030 strategic pillar of driving meaningful work for young people.
Y Australia seeks up to 5 new National Board and Committee members.
Applicants with skills in at least one of the below areas will be preferred:
- Digital / technology
- Brand, marketing and strategic communications
- Assurance / cyber expertise
- People and culture expertise
- Strategy and / or income diversification
- Philanthropy / partnerships / income diversification
In 2019 we rebranded as the Y (from the YMCA) to make it clear that we stand for all young people, regardless of gender, religion, sexuality or difference.
We encourage applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences, including young people, First Nations applicants, people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds, people who identify as having a disability, and people of all ages, genders and sexual orientation.
As a National Board, we also seek geographic diversity, and encourage applicants from all states and territories.
- The expected tenure of the role of Board Director or Board Committee Member is 3 years.
- Directors commit to 4 substantive Board meetings per year, three of these face-to-face in Melbourne. An additional 2-3 informal board meetings are held each year, online.
- There are three National Board Committees: Governance and HR; Risk, Finance and Licensing; and the Strategic Oversight Committee.
- Committee members attend approximately four online Committee meetings each year; and two face-to-face strategic meetings in Melbourne.
- Serving our community is part of our DNA at the Y – the role of Director and Committee member is a voluntary role. Travel and expenses are covered by Y Australia.
For further information on the role and commitment, see briefing pack, here.
About the organisation
With the vision to create a better world with and for young people, Y Australia is the national body of the Y (formally known as the YMCA) in Australia. Through its vast footprint, global reach, broad range of programs and commitment to inclusivity and diversity – the Y in Australia is focused on achieving meaningful outcomes and helping to resolve system-wide challenges.
A part of the largest youth movement in the world, and collectively one of the largest community organisations in Australia, the Y in Australia operates as a federation of 12 member associations, supporting more than 680 communities across the country.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Board and Commitee Members via Pro Bono Australia.