About the Role
NEDA is currently seeking a part time (22hr per week) Policy & Project Officer to be based in our office in Canberra. This role is for a period of 12 months and is ongoing, subject to funding.
We are seeking an experienced Policy & Project Officer to join our small team of advocates. This dynamic role would suit a well organised, strong project focused individual who is efficient, has an eye for detail and enjoys managing multiple priorities, utilising sound judgement and initiative.
The ideal candidate will:
– Be dedicated to protecting and advancing the rights of all people with disability, particularly those with psychosocial disability, from CALD backgrounds; be committed to the promotion of multiculturalism and inclusion
– Have a strong understanding of human rights frameworks and social justice principles
– Be able to work independently in a proactive and confident manner with little daily support or direction
The successful applicant will report to NEDA’s Senior Research & Policy Officer and will undertake high-level project management and policy-related activities to meet NEDA’s strategic priorities, and will be responsible for:
– Managing member organisation engagement and coordination and conducting activities to support member recruitment, particularly in regard to mental health & psychosocial disability.
– Supporting the Senior Research & Policy Officer with the development of briefings, document review and drafting, research, policy and data analysis, and planning.
– Updating and maintaining organisational policies and procedures
– Undertaking special tasks on an ad hoc basis, as required.
Working in a small collaborative team across a number of projects and policy areas, the role requires a vibrant person possessing solid organisation skills and the ability to be flexible. You need to be comfortable with multiple tasks, focused on quality results and sensitive to stakeholder and political dynamics. You will bring knowledge of and/or experience in project management and/or policy development and implementation and have the capacity to analyse and synthesise information from disparate sources. You are a pragmatic problem-solver, willing to iterate ideas and solutions, balancing details and quality with efficiency and vision.
– you will have a lived experience of disability, and/or be from a migrant/refugee background, and/or have professional experience working in disability or mental health sectors (desirable).
– Possess an understanding of and/or background in human rights, advocacy and/or policy (desirable)
– Tertiary or other qualifications in public policy, law, disability or related area (desirable)
– Previous experience within a NFP or in a similar role
About the Organisation
NEDA is a founding member of Disabled People’s Organisations Australia (DPOA)
As a disabled person’s organisation (DPO) governed by people with disability from migrant/refugee backgrounds, NEDA strongly encourages applications from CALD (culturally & linguistically diverse) people with disability.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Policy & Project Officer via Pro Bono Australia.