About the role
- Contribute to best practice in the legal profession
- Case manage the investigation of complaints and conduct issues concerning barristers
- Would suit candidates from a regulatory, conduct or professional standards background
You will investigate and report to the Bar Council about conduct complaints and professional standards issues concerning barristers. Managing a case load of matters and being a direct point of contact for stakeholders, you will ensure cases are progressed expeditiously and with procedural fairness. You have secretariat responsibilities to two professional conduct committees, working closely with the Chair and barrister members, to ensure accurate reporting to the Bar Council at the conclusion of investigations.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Response to enquiries from the profession and the public in relation to legislation and regulation
- Provision of instructions to solicitors and counsel appearing on behalf of the Bar Council
- Assistance in the preparation of submissions on matters affecting the regulation of the profession
You have prior experience in a legal statutory body, professional standards, conduct or regulatory investigations area, together with demonstrated ability to rigorously analyse material and effective case management skills. You can interpret and communicate legislation to a wide range of stakeholders including the general public and the profession, and have excellent written skills with a strong attention to detail. You will also have:
- Eligibility to hold a current NSW Practising Certificate
- A strong commitment to upholding the integrity of the legal profession
- The ability to cultivate productive working relationships
About the organisation
The New South Wales Bar Association seeks to promote the rule of law; promote collegiality and practice development of its members; represent the interests of its members in dealings with government, the broader legal profession, the media and the community, and regulate fair and honourable practice amongst barristers.
Benefits & Culture
- Flexible working conditions
- Professional development opportunities
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Lawyer, Professional Conduct via Pro Bono Australia.