About the Role
- Peak body for autistic people and their families in Victoria
- Contribute to shaping the public policy agenda for autism in Victoria and Nationally.
- 6 FTE – including generous salary packaging options
Amaze’s Policy and Advocacy team is responsible for the identification of key public policy issues relating to autism and development of policy positions, submissions and influencing campaigns to address these issues – this currently includes assessment and diagnosis, education, employment, NDIS, mental health and autism and autistic women and girls.
Amaze is expanding our Policy and Advocacy capacity to provide independent, quality and robust policy advice to Government, further engage the autistic community in the policy development process and build greater policy and advocacy collaboration in the autism sector.
This position is responsible for supporting the Policy and Advocacy functions of Amaze. This work will include (but is not limited to): research, community engagement, production and updating of high quality, evidence based policy materials including election manifesto, position statements, submissions and correspondence.
The role will engage with stakeholders (government, autism sector and wider community), NGOs and other organisations with similar interest in Amaze’s policy priorities to prosecute and support these priorities. Furthermore the role will collaborate with the autism community to build their advocacy capacity and engage and consult with autistic people and their families and carers to ensure policy priorities reflect the needs of those with the lived experience.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Tertiary qualifications in law, social and/or public policy.
- High level research and critical analysis skills of policy and legislative frameworks to develop policy positions and submissions.
- Min 3-5 years’ experience in social/public policy development in government and/or related NGO environment including outcomes based approaches.
- Proven success in developing effective working relationships with government officials, sector representatives, constituents and coalitions.
- Exceptional written, oral and presentation skills and ability to translate into accessible language.
About the Organisation
For 50 years, Amaze has provided information and resources to autistic people and their families, the broader autism sector (service providers, researchers, autism organisations) and the wider community.
Today Amaze supports more than 6,000 Victorians every year as well as advocates to government to influence positive change and builds the skills of the community to create a better world for autistic people and their families.
Amaze is committed to improving employment opportunities for autistic people. We do this through advocating to the broader community and employing autistic people at Amaze. We endeavour to provide support and adjustments through the recruitment process and throughout employment to the specific needs of autistic candidates and employees. Autistic people with the skills and experience outlined in the position description are encouraged to apply.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Phone : 03 9657 1632
Email : email@example.com
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Policy Officer via Pro Bono Australia.