About the role
Sydney and/or Wollongong Courts
- Exciting opportunity for practitioners with a background working with in domestic and family violence (DFV)
- Leading Not-For-Profit Organisation
- Part time role – 4 days per week
- Based in Macquarie Park and/or Illawarra
- Salary packaging benefits available
Relationships Australia NSW (RANSW) believes everyone is entitled to positive, supportive and healthy relationships. Our work is centred on building strong family relationships and community connections. As a leading independent non-profit organisation, we focus on those in greatest need, and we conduct our work with respect for difference and social inclusiveness.
We are looking for someone with experience in the area of family domestic violence to join us as Family Domestic Violence Support Worker for our Family Advocacy Support Service (FASS) program.
About the role
This role focuses on providing trauma informed high quality case work to support men who are affected by family violence or who have allegations of family violence against them and who are currently in the family court system. It is a court based, case work service.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Provide trauma-informed and high quality case work support to men affected by family violence;
- Conduct risk assessment and safety planning for men who have experienced family violence;
- Provide information, advocacy and court support before, during and after court, as needed;
- Provide referrals in relation to client’s social needs, and case coordination in relation to those services;
- Work collaboratively with the duty lawyers, the WDVCAS in each registry, the FASS Project Officer, WDVCAP, Domestic Violence Unit, Early Intervention Unit and Family Dispute Resolution Unit.
This role is a 6 month fixed term contract, working part time, 4 days per week covering Sydney and/or Wollongong Courts (2 days in each court).
You have the option to choose working either at Sydney, Wollongong or both courts. Your qualifications, skills and experience will include:
- Tertiary qualifications in Social welfare, Social Science, Psychology, Humanities or equivalent knowledge and experience working in these areas;
- Sound understanding of the dynamics of family violence and its disproportionate impact on women and children, along with understanding the complexities of working with men who use violence and the ability to avoid reinforcing attitudes which promote family violence especially where men use violence and present themselves as the primary victim.
- Excellent client management skills including an ability to work with clients in a trauma informed way.
- Experience with and understanding of the legal process as it relates to Commonwealth family law, State family violence and State child protection jurisdictions as well as related social welfare issues.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with key partners, particularly Legal Aid NSW duty lawyers, Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Services (WDVCASs), Family Law Courts registry, security, judicial officers and other service providers in each registry.
- Current NSW drivers licence.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Family Violence Support Worker via Pro Bono Australia.