About the role
Help us to help young people. Concern Australia needs compassionate volunteers to support young people who are transitioning out of residential care into an independent living arrangement.
Program Description: The Live-In Mentor/Lead Tenant program is a unique youth mentoring program that connects at-risk youth with volunteer adult mentors. Mentors, also known as “Lead Tenants”, reside in a property with another Live-In Mentor/Lead Tenant and one to two young people.
In this space, Live-In Mentors/Lead Tenants will exhibit positive role modelling and share basic living skills such as cooking, budgeting and house maintenance, whilst still maintaining the freedom to engage in work or study.
The young people participating in this program are aged between 16-18 years and are seeking to transition into independent living after exiting residential care. The Lead Tenant program seeks to empower young people experiencing disadvantage by giving them the tools to continue to lead healthy, independent lives.
There are many advantages to becoming a Live-In Mentor/Lead Tenant including the opportunity to;
- Live rent free with all utilities included
- Access specialised Lead Tenant training and other relevant training
- Gain valuable experience working with young people as a mentor
- Give back to the community and support young people in need
Position Description: Live-In Mentors/Lead Tenants establish positive and meaningful relationships with the young people residing in the house and are expected to demonstrate positive role modelling. This is achieved through;
- Encouraging and demonstrating engagement in education and/or employment
- Demonstrating good social and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrating life and living skills including budgeting, cooking and self-care
- Supporting young people to develop communication skills
Requirements: Concern Australia are seeking adults who meet the following criteria;
- Strong communication skills
- An ability to live in a share house setting
- Willingness to interact with co-residents
- Current Working With Children Check
- Current Police Check
- Engaged in work or study
- Willingness to undertake Live-In Mentor/Lead Tenant training
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
Expressions of Interest can be addressed to: Emmah.Williams@concernaustralia.org.au
For more information, please phone Emma on 0452 249 466.
Name: Emmah Williams
Please quote in application: Volunteer Live In Mentor via Pro Bono Australia.