About the role
This position will be responsible to oversee a small in-house legal service comprising two junior lawyers to provide legal advice and representation to VACCA’s Chief Executive Officer in her role as the ‘Principal Officer’ authorised under section 18 of the Children Youth and Families Act 2005. You will also provide legal or strategic advice on client services projects, programs or cases involving legal or human rights issues. Position is Full time/Part Time.
To be considered for this role you must demonstrate:
- Commitment to VACCA’s vision and purpose.
- Awareness and appreciation of Aboriginal societies and cultures and an understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal people in contemporary Australia and the diversity of circumstances of Aboriginal people
- Demonstrated experience working in the community sector or other human rights legal role
- Proven experience in legal policy and /or relevant casework experience
- Excellent writing, critical analysis and research skills
- Legal Qualification and eligibility to hold a practising certificate and ability to provide supervision to other legal practitioners
- Strong organisational abilities and interpersonal and communication skills
About the organisation
The Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) is the largest organization of its kind in Australia. VACCA is an Aboriginal community-controlled organization that supports and advocates for the Aboriginal community. Our strength lies with our people. Our team is committed to the organisation's vision and values; advocates for our children and other vulnerable community members; and shows respect for, observance and compliance with Aboriginal cultural protocols, practice and ceremony. Our Aboriginality is what distinguishes us from mainstream services and what enables us to deliver the positive outcomes we achieve for our people
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Principal Legal Officer via Pro Bono Australia.