About the role
- Be a part of an organisation that makes a difference
- Drive employment strategy in this pivotal People & Culture role
- 12 month contract
- Location: Flexible
The Smith Family is a national, independent children’s charity helping disadvantaged Australians to get the most out of their education, so they can create better futures for themselves. The appointment of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy Manager will continue to enhance our employment strategy and ensure that our diversity agendas are successfully implemented and in line with businesses objectives.
Reporting to the Head of People & Culture, this role will lead the implementation of The Smith Family’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment strategy to enable our vision for attracting, developing and retaining Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as well as delivering on our RAP objectives in relation to employment.
A day in the life of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy Manager, might look like this, but really every day will be different. You key responsibilities will be to;
- Undertake a consultation process with key stakeholders to review and revise the existing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy.
- Undertake research, external benchmarking and consultation with key internal stakeholder groups to identify broad elements related to Diversity and Inclusion that would provide benefit to organisational culture and the attraction and retention of talent at The Smith Family.
- Implement activities in alignment with the Employment strategy that deliver RAP objectives for the recruitment and retention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander team members.
- Collaborate with National Manager Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Policy to continue to strengthen the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Staff Network.
- Provide day to day advice and support to teams on employment related RAP actions.
- Provide coaching and support to leaders and team members that assist with retention, performance and promotion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander team members and leaders.
- Coach and mentor People & Culture team members to build cultural competence particularly in relation to employment lifecycle processes, human resources policies and organisational culture.
- Provide monthly and quarterly reporting on progress against objectives.
It takes a special kind of person to be our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy Manager. Our successful candidate will bring the following:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline
- Solid experience in Human Resources or Diversity and Inclusion roles
- Demonstrated capacity to build relationships with stakeholders and to influence across all levels
- Expert knowledge of issues affecting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
- Expert knowledge of equity, diversity and inclusion policies
- Established project management and multi-tasking skills
- Research and strategy development skills
- Impressive report writing, communication and presentation skills
Living up to our employment promise, our team members tell us that working for The Smith Family, they have great job flexibility and the ability to work alongside committed, passionate and professional team members whilst engaging in challenging, fulfilling and diverse work. In turn, our team members believe that they offer commitment to our vision, mission and values and effective collaboration with fellow team members to deliver strong performance outcomes.
Closing date: Monday, 30 September 2019.
Due to the nature of this role, the successful candidate must be prepared to undertake a National Police Check.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
The filling of this employment opportunity is intended to constitute a special measure under subsection 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975’. Applications will only be considered for persons of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent.
In your application please include a cover letter addressing the essential criteria in the Position Description, as well as specifying whether you are of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent; identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander; and are accepted as such by the community in which you live.
For any other information or to submit your application, please contact Lee Grewal at email@example.com
Please quote in application: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy Manager via Pro Bono Australia.