About the role
Job Title: Media Advisor
Location: Brisbane preferred, but we are flexible for the right candidate.
Salary: Dependent on skills and experience.
Hours: Part time (4 days/week), some weekend and out of hours work required.
Contract period: Contract until 31 Dec 2020 (intention to extend dependent on funding).
Purpose of the position: The Media Advisor develops compelling media stories in liaison with AMCS campaigns and communications staff and pitches them to media outlets.
- Successfully pitching ocean conservation stories to the right media outlets.
- Increasing the volume of ocean conservation media stories through reactive and proactive opportunities for the purpose of influence and impact.
- Creating effective media moments through launches, media packages and impactful visuals.
- Media monitoring to identify opportunities and ensure staff are across and responding to relevant news stories.
- Maximising exposure to AMCS media stories on digital media (social channels, website).
- Supporting AMCS campaigners with key messages, training, coaching and ongoing support.
Essential selection criteria
- Demonstrated experience in journalism or in a media role in an advocacy organisation or NGO.
- Track record of generating powerful media stories.
- Excellent written communication skills, with demonstrated experience in the preparation of media releases and generation of content for traditional and digital media.
- Initiative and demonstrated time management skills – you can work independently on multiple projects, problem-solve and manage your own work plans.
- Ability to uphold the AMCS values and work in a positive constructive manner with a multidisciplinary team.
Desirable Selection Criteria:
- Commitment to protecting Australia’s oceans.
- Experience within the advocacy, NGO or community sectors.
- Existing network of contacts within the media.
- Degree or qualification in media or communications.
- The position reports directly to the AMCS Communications Manager and works closely with members of the Campaigns and Communications teams.
About the organisation
The Australian Marine Conservation Society is the voice for Australia's oceans. We are an independent not-for profit charity, working on the big issues concerning the sea. We protect marine wildlife, make our fisheries sustainable and create marine sanctuaries, places in the sea where our wildlife is safe from harm. We do this by creating social, legislative and policy change. Our committed group of professional and passionate scientists, educators and advocates has defended Australia's oceans for over 50 years.
Integrity. We are trusted, credible, independent and ethical in our actions.
Courage. We are brave, respectful and honest advocates for marine life.
Passion. We demonstrate commitment to and care for our oceans in all we do.
Solidarity. We work together, embracing equity, diversity and inclusivity.
Effectiveness. We are driven, professional, agile and resilient, working to deliver the best outcomes for Australia’s people and wildlife.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Media Advisor via Pro Bono Australia.