About the role
About the Position
Anglicare SQ’s Mental Health & Wellbeing teams assist all kinds of people who may be struggling to overcome challenges, providing support in the home, workplace or community. We are currently looking for Counsellors to work within our new evidence-based program which has been designed by Ken McMasters. The Living Without Violence service provides group work and individual counselling to men who have perpetrated domestic and family violence. Increasing the safety of affected family members, particularly women and children, through facilitating change and accountability with the man, is the first priority. The wellbeing of all family members is also a focus.
As a Counsellor – Domestic and Family Violence, you will provide group facilitation, counselling services to a group of men who have been court mandated into the program. The role will also provide advocacy, information, support and referral services to survivors – primarily women and children – affected by violence.
The program is delivered from both our Stafford and Buranda sites so travel will be required. This is a part time (0.8FTE), six month contract role with some after hours and weekend work.
Due to the nature of this role only female applicants will be considered. This is arguable under Section 25 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1991 (Qld).
With a collaborative and consultative approach, our successful candidate will be happy to roll up their sleeves and hit the ground running. You will offer a successful background in Social Services – specifically within domestic and family violence services, mental health or substance abuse.
Skills, attributes and capabilities will include:
- Significant experience in the facilitation of both group and individual domestic violence counselling and a passion for creating successful results for clients and their families
- Capacity to effectively engage and work productively with challenging and complex clients, who may have been mandated, while providing advocacy for a group of violence-affected women
- Developing goals and case plans with the priority of ceasing the use of abusive, violent and controlling behaviour
- Work collaboratively within a small team of diverse personalities and communication styles; an understanding of power dynamics and the need to model appropriate behaviour
- A quick learner with an adaptable nature and the capacity to juggle changing priorities on any given day
- Strong change management skills, with an understanding of individual and team impacts, and able to provide a positive focus on the future
- Being organised with good time management skills, as you will need to balance your own clinical workload while effectively maintaining management and administrative duties
- Previous experience working within reflective and supervision frameworks and the capacity to promote these within the team
- Maturity and emotional resilience with the ability to self-care effectively
- A calm, professional approach with the ability to use initiative & sound judgement in decision making
Your official qualifications and certifications will include:
- A relevant four-year degree in Psychology, Counselling, Social Work or similar field
- Post graduate qualifications would be advantageous
- Membership of a relevant professional body or eligibility to apply
- A current National Police Certificate
- Current Blue Card (Working with Children) with Yellow Card exemption
- A current Queensland Driver Licence and your own reliable vehicle
What We Offer
Anglicare is committed to building a highly skilled workforce, assisted by a dedicated management team. We support our staff with learning and development initiatives, an employee benefits program and progressive human resources management strategies, and are recognised as a leading employer in the non-profit sector. You will also enjoy:
- Being part of a highly regarded domestic violence prevention service, operating in the Brisbane region for over 25 years
- Strong management and leadership structure in a rewarding and safe workplace that promotes excellence
- An established supervision framework offering both individual and group practice supervision
- Work and life balance with part time hours within a dedicated and supportive team environment
- The option to increase your take home pay with full PBI salary packaging
What happens now?
Send us your current resume and a Cover Letter explaining your interest in being a Counsellor with Anglicare SQ. If you are successful in progressing to the next stage, you will be sent a link to complete a short, 15-minute on-line assessment (after the closing date) and shortlisting will take place soon after.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
Please quote in application: Counsellor - Domestic & Family Violence via Pro Bono Australia.