About the role
EDO is a community legal centre specialising in public interest environmental law and policy. Our mission is to help the community protect the environment through the law.
We have a fantastic, Queensland-based opportunity for a junior criminal lawyer (1-5 years) to join our Citizen Representation Program (CRP). The CRP provides specialist legal advice and information about the laws that regulate protest activities concerning the environment. In addition, the CRP provides legal representation to those who have been charged with criminal offences arising from their participation in such activities.
EDO does not support unlawful behaviour in any way, but does believe that all people charged with criminal offences are entitled to a legal defence.
See our website http://www.edonsw.org.au for more information on our cutting edge legal work.
- A Queensland practising certificate or eligibility for admission to legal practice in Queensland.
- A minimum of 1 year post admission experience working primarily in the field of Criminal Law.
- Flexibility and the ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to communicate clearly in plain English.
- Demonstrated high level research skills, including attention to detail.
- Preparedness to travel within Queensland and nationally at short notice.
Position: The Junior Criminal Lawyer position is a 12-month, fixed term contract, with possibility of extension based on funding. The position is full-time but 4 days per week may be considered.
Location: The position will ideally be based in Cairns, with frequent regional travel within Queensland. However, there is the potential for the position to be located in our Brisbane office and exceptional applications will be considered from Brisbane-based solicitors.
Salary: Salary dependent on experience. The role is covered by the SCHADS Award.
About the organisation
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Junior Criminal Solicitor via Pro Bono Australia.