About the role
This role is a 3 year contract full time role.
Founded by St Ignatius Loyola more than 450 years ago, the Society of Jesus (also known as the Jesuits) is an international religious order of priests and brothers within the Catholic Church committed to service in the world in a variety of ways.
The Jesuit presence in Australia began in 1848 and the Australian Province of the Society of Jesus now comprises more than 120 Jesuits. They work in over 30 ministries in companionship with some 1800 women and men who share the Ignatian vision of the service of faith and the promotion of justice.
This is a newly created role with the establishment of Jesuit and Ignatian Spirituality Australia Ltd (JISA) which is the entity that co-ordinates the Province’s Ministry of the Spiritual Exercises, Mission Formation and Intellectual Apostolate. Initially it has three divisions, Jesuit Spirituality Ministry, Mission Formation and the Intellectual Apostolate. The work of Mission Formation and Jesuit Spirituality Ministries is supported by Mobile Teams of spiritual directors and formators (Jesuit and lay) and by a national Finance and Administration Team.
The Ministry, which is a priority under the Apostolic Plan of the Australian Jesuits, will transition from a fixed location service to an outreach model staffed by mobile teams that focus on bringing Jesuit and Ignatian spirituality and mission formation to those who seek it, where they seek it.
The changes, which demonstrate the Ignatian maxim of living with “one foot raised” in the direction of greatest need, a sixteenth century articulation of the modern concept of “agile availability”, will create new opportunities not only for those seeking an experience of Ignatian spirituality, but also for spiritual directors delivering those services. Ignatian spiritual directors and presenters have until now been largely restricted to physical retreat centres for the delivery of Ignatian spirituality and mission formation.
To primary responsibility of the Co-ordinator – Mission Formation is to provide effective leadership and co-ordination of Mission Formation across the Province.
In consultation with the Delegate/CEO and Board of JISA:
- Encourage partnership across the mission of the Province
- Deepen Ignatian formation for all in Province ministries
- Provide a vision and open new opportunities for mission formation
- In consultation with the members of the Ministries Commission, develop resources to form people working in ministries across the Province in Jesuit and Ignatian Spirituality.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with entities throughout the Province and provide them with resources in Jesuit and Ignatian Spirituality.
- Respond to requests for the provision of formation, leadership, spirituality and mission formation for leaders in communities, other ministries, including social ministries and Jesuit and Jesuit Companion schools.
- In collaboration with Co-ordinator of the Spiritual Exercises Ministry to provide content for a webpage inclusive of Ignatian spiritual, prayer and formation.
- Develop a variety of resources for use in different places and settings (e.g. rural, parish, workplace, shut in, hospitals) for formation of people in Jesuit and Ignatian Spirituality.
- Ensure that the Mission Formation division’s business practices are consistent with Ignatian values and ethos.
- Provide effective team leadership (in collaboration with the Co-ordinator for the Spirituality Exercises.
- Supervise the Mission Formation Officer.
- Oversee Faber CIS with respect to Mission Formation activities.
- Supervise and mentor the work of the Mission Formation Mobile Teams.
- Work with the Delegate for Jesuit and Ignatian Spirituality to develop yearly budgets and report on implementation progress as required.
- Ensure that the Mission Formation divisions are financially viable.
- Oversee the employment, induction, review and professional development of all staff employed or engaged as a contractor in Mission Formation and the Mobile Teams.
Ideally the successful candidate will possess and have demonstrable knowledge of the following:
- A Higher Degree in Theology
- Formation in Ignatian Spirituality including completion of the Spiritual Exercises
- High Level Management Experience
- Possess demonstrable experience in the development of formation programs
- Possess the ability to deliver and implement formation programs
About the organisation
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Co-ordinator – Mission Formation via Pro Bono Australia.