About the role
Do you have a wealth of bookkeeping experience? Are you faster than average at processing, with an excellent eye for detail? Do you quickly learn new bookkeeping technologies?
If you are keen to be part of a dynamic and supportive team, and work alongside client-organisations doing genuine good, this may be the role for you.
Purpose Accounting is seeking a Senior Bookkeeper to join our growing team of financial management professionals, supporting a diverse range of clients across the non-profit sector. Our bookkeeping service clients are small to medium enterprise not-for-profit organisations (turnover $0.5m to $7m) in a range of fields such as: homelessness prevention; children’s education; new migrant and refugee services; Aboriginal organisations; organisations that support children and youth experiencing poverty or other challenges; and various other causes.
This role is Sydney-based and offered as full time (38 hrs per week). However we would also consider 4 days per week for the right candidate. Some of your work will be on-site at client offices, some in the Purpose office (Redfern), and there is an opportunity for occasional working from home, if conditions / workload permit.
The key focus of this role is to deliver bookkeeping services on the Xero platform, to support our non-profit clients to be accurate and compliant.
In this role you will provide services to a portfolio of ongoing clients, including small and medium sized non-profits, as well as larger organisations.
Reporting to one of our Senior Accountants, your responsibilities will include:
- Full function Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
- Processing end-to-end payroll, including salary packaging, superannuation contributions and PAYG
- Month end reconciliation of bank accounts and credit cards
- Preparation of BAS, plus Superannuation
- Assisting Senior Accountants with the following tasks:
- Preparation of month-end journals (to be reviewed by Senior Accountant)
- Financial reports; budgeting and forecasting
- Analysis, as instructed
- Prioritising work according to client requirements, operating under pressure to meet deadlines. Includes juggling work in an agile manner, according to changing circumstances.
- Working closely with Senior Accountants, and interacting with the company’s Directors as required
Your skills and perspective
To be successful in this role you will:
- Have worked as a qualified bookkeeper for at least 3 years
- Be proficient in Xero, including Xero payroll, having used Xero for at least 2 years
- Be accurate and efficient with processing tasks
- Be a quick learner when it comes to new technology
- Have experience in preparation of BAS, IAS and superannuation
- Possess a solid understanding of basic accounting principles
- Have strong interpersonal skills
- Be proactive, highly self-motivated and comfortable working autonomously – you are innovative, demonstrate initiative and seek opportunities to add value
- Have a strong ability to prioritise work, operate under pressure and to deliver against deadlines
We will also favourably view applicants who have:
- Experience working in a bookkeeping or accounting practice environment, or
- Experience working in the non-profit sector
You will have a relevant university qualification, or Advanced Diploma in Bookkeeping or Accounting from TAFE.
About the organisation
Purpose Accounting is a boutique financial management and advisory company, serving the non-profit sector. We inform, collaborate, and lead to help organisations make great decisions.
We serve a diverse range of clients, from small to medium enterprises, through to large non-profits and Government bodies. Our services are tailored for each individual client.
We provide bookkeeping, accounting and advisory services.
At Purpose, we see financial management as a connected piece – to strategy, programs, as well as to Organisational culture, leadership and communication. We work with our clients to synchronise financial management with these elements.
Purpose turned 5 years old in September 2019, and has grown year on year.
Our team is a carefully curated mix of bookkeepers and accountants, with diverse and complementary skill sets. With many years’ experience serving non-profit clients, our team has a deep appreciation of the sector.
We encourage innovation, creative approaches to work and a flexible working environment for our team members. We are strongly committed to developing our staff and supporting them.
How to apply for this role
Please include a cover letter with your application, stating why your skills, experience and personal attributes are relevant to the position.
Email applications to email@example.com - applications close COB Friday 29 November.
Applicants must have the right to live and work in Australia to be considered for this job.
Please quote in application: Senior Bookkeeper via Pro Bono Australia.