About the role
Joining a committed team, the Family Support Officer – Early Years, will work within the Support Services Team to provide information and support to families, with a focus on early intervention and early childhood development. The role is key in relating with new and expecting families and assisting them with navigating this time, linking with regional reps, and building formal and informal supports.
The role is 4-5 days a week and is located in Stafford, North Brisbane.
Salary range $60-70k full time equivalent plus super, plus charity salary packaging options (up to $15,899 tax free), leave loading at 17.5%, paid leave and flexible working conditions
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties of the role include:
- Provide information and support to new and expectant parents through phone/email support as well as hospital or home visits where practical
- Provide informed, unbiased information & support to people who have been told of the chance of a prenatal Down syndrome diagnosis
- Provide information, support and advice on early intervention and early childhood development to families who have a child with Down syndrome
- Link families with regional representatives in Qld, where appropriate
- Assist families with advocacy issues
- Develop, update and disseminate resources to families and other stakeholders throughout Qld
- Deliver training & information sessions for families, and other interest groups
- Co-ordinate, facilitate & develop peer to peer support programs
- Develop and implement programs to build capacity for families regionally
- Monitor and contribute to the DSQ Support Group facebook page
- Attend key DSQ events, where possible and within budgetary constraints
- Develop and maintain working relationships with relevant community organisations and service providers
- Record and report all interactions in a clear, high quality and efficient manner and in line with required deadlines.
- Participate in and contribute to quality improvement programs and activities to work towards maintaining the Quality Management System and Accreditation Standards
- Undertake any other duties as required by the Support Services Manager
Skills and Experience
The successful applicant will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in Social Work, Psychology, Early Childhood or related field and/or significant work experience in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of Early Intervention and Early Childhood Development
- Ability to provide unbiased information accurately and confidently
- Knowledge of Down syndrome (desirable)
- Knowledge and experience in designing and facilitating training to families and/or stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in, and contemporary understandings of, the disability sector in its current environment, including the transition to NDIS
- Knowledge of Sign language, desirable
- Highly developed written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong time management skills including being able to prioritise tasks
- Ability to work positively and communicate effectively within a team environment as well as autonomously to achieve service delivery excellence
- Demonstrated competence in computer applications, i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel and Power-point, relevant to the role to ensure work is completed in a professional, accurate, and timely manner
- Valid Disability Services Yellow Card and National Police Check
- Current driver’s license and willingness to use private vehicle if required.
- Availability and willingness to work outside regular hours when required
- Availability and willingness to travel to regional areas within Qld
Acceptance of the position involves a willingness to work within the philosophies and policy directions of Down Syndrome Queensland.
The successful applicant will be required to undergo satisfactory pre-employment checks including professional referees, completion of a satisfactory police records check and working with children check.
Down Syndrome Queensland is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people with a disability to apply for all positions.
About the organisation
Down Syndrome Queensland (DSQ) is a not for profit organisation providing a variety of services from experienced and professional staff. DSQ is committed to ensuring that people with Down syndrome, their families and the people who work with and care for them are informed, empowered and supported. We work with families across Queensland. The Early Years Support Services Officer is an essential part of this commitment, providing information and support to families who have a child with Down syndrome.
At DSQ we have three core values: Integrity, Passion and Inclusion. Our values express what we stand for and guide the way we do things. Our values are core to our business, and we align everything we do with them.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Family Support Officer via Pro Bono Australia.