About the role
- Location: Preston
- Full-time/Part-time, Ongoing
- Salary- $61,016-$67,410 (depending upon relevant skills and experience)
The primary responsibility of VACCA’s In-House Legal Service (ILS) Lawyer is to provide legal advice and representation to VACCA’s Nugel Program. VACCA’s ILS lawyer will also provide legal or strategic advice on client services projects, programs or cases involving legal or human rights issues. From time to time the ILS lawyer may also contribute to a diverse range of projects that advance the interests of the organisation in the broader political arena including advocating for Aboriginal rights, law reform and self-determination.
We provide a positive, culturally safe workplace environment supported by family-friendly and culturally sensitive workforce policies, including professional development, continuing education and staff wellbeing.
To be considered for this role you must demonstrate:
- Commitment to VACCA’s vision and purpose
- Awareness and appreciation of Aboriginal societies and cultures and an understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal people in contemporary Australia and the diversity of circumstances of Aboriginal people
- Experience or knowledge of relevant international human rights instruments and bodies and /or relevant human rights protections for Aboriginal people within Australian and/or Victorian law
- Experience or knowledge of relevant inquiries, case law or law reform in relation to issues impacting Aboriginal people in Australia and/or Victoria
- Bachelor of Laws
- Admitted (or eligible for admission in 2020) as a legal practitioner in Victoria
Please note: This is an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander designated position, classified under Section 12 Special Measures of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010. This employment opportunity is only available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
Application Deadline is July 02, 2020
About the organisation
The Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) is the largest organization of its kind in Australia. VACCA is an Aboriginal community-controlled organization that supports and advocates for the Aboriginal community. Our strength lies with our people. Our team is committed to the organisation's vision and values; advocates for our children and other vulnerable community members; and shows respect for, observance and compliance with Aboriginal cultural protocols, practice and ceremony. Our Aboriginality is what distinguishes us from mainstream services and what enables us to deliver the positive outcomes we achieve for our people.
How to apply
For further information to send an application please click the Apply now button.
For more information regarding your exciting future with VACCA, please contact email@example.com
Applications must include:
- A cover letter outlining why you are applying for this position
- A resume with your skills, experience and qualifications
- Written responses to the key selection criteria
Please quote in application: Lawyer via Pro Bono Australia.