About the role
Are you someone who wants to help create positive change for Australia’s ocean wildlife? Are you an experienced operations manager with the skills and passion to drive our operational and administrative systems from our HQ in Brisbane?
The Australian Marine Conservation Society has been protecting Australia’s oceans and marine life for more than 50 years. AMCS is one of Australia’s most influential environmental charities. We’re independent and not‐for‐profit. We advocate for the changes necessary to safeguard our oceans and their wildlife which is some of the richest and rarest on earth.
This is an exciting opportunity to join and support a great team and work for a great cause. If you are dynamic, efficient, highly organised and looking for a rewarding role where you can make a real difference we encourage you to apply.
Job Title: Operations Manager
Location: AMCS National Office, Brisbane.
Salary: $86,000-97,000 per annum (pro-rata); additional leave benefits and 10% superannuation.
Hours: Part-time, 4 days (30.4 hours) per week.
Contract period: 2 year contract, with a view to extension, dependent on funding.
Purpose of the position:
To maximise our ability to deliver our mission and make a difference for Australia’s oceans by ensuring that AMCS is an efficient, well managed organisation with effective administrative and operational systems.
To provide our growing team with the operational, organisational, financial and administrative systems and support that we need to succeed.
To drive, manage and deliver on key strategic projects that impact the whole of AMCS.
The position reports to the Chief Executive Officer and manages AMCS’s core operational staff.
The Operations Manager assists the CEO in managing the organisation by overseeing AMCS operational management, financial management, organisational and charity reporting, servicing the Board, human resource management, internal communications, IT systems and database, legal compliance and organisational policy, strategic planning and general administration.
Primary tasks and responsibilities:
Administration and management
- Manage the Operations Team, including developing and delivering the annual plan for the team.
- Oversee the organisation’s day to day administration, including office management, insurance, leases, mail, reception and supplies, and negotiating server agreements/contracts.
- Manage the organisation’s policies, procedures and compliance requirements.
- Oversee the operational side of our daily interaction with AMCS supporters.
Strategy, planning and reporting
- Project manage the development, review and reporting against the AMCS Strategic Plan 2021-2025.
- Oversee organisational reporting to the Board, including our performance against the Strategic Plan reporting process.
- Contribute to organisational reporting including the Annual Report.
- Oversee the annual charity reporting, as required by legislation, including the Australian Charity and Not for Profit Commission (ACNC) statement and the Incorporated Association Reporting.
IT and database management
- Ensure effective IT systems, overseeing the strategic direction of the organisation’s IT needs (including the IT Security Audit and move to the Cloud).
- Manage IT consultants that provide operational support services such as data backup, software updates, server management and computer maintenance.
- Oversee the management of the database, ensuring data privacy and data health and ensuring the functionality supports business critical operations.
- Work with the Fundraising Manager to ensure the database effectively supports fundraising and supporter care programs.
- Maintain a comprehensive suite of HR and OHS policies and procedures for the organisation.
- Oversee all employment processes, probation, performance planning and induction (including developing appropriate workflows and templates).
- Develop and implement a staff wellness program, including maintaining the Employee Assistance Program.
- Maintain and oversee the periodic review of staff conditions and remuneration including assisting to implement outcomes agreed by the CEO and Board.
- Coordinate the recruitment, induction and administration of staff/contractors/Board including delivering operational induction as required.
- Ensure organisational systems are in place to support the recruitment, management and engagement of AMCS volunteers.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and human resource requirements.
- Ensure effective internal communications, including with our decentralised team around the country.
- Ensure AMCS is an inclusive organisation and workplace.
Financial Planning, Management and Reporting
- Ensure our systems and processes deliver strong and effective governance of our finances.
- Support the CEO in budget development, tracking and financial reporting.
- Ensure the Board, CEO and staff have timely and accurate financial information.
- Oversee the processing of all accounts payable/receivable by the Operations Team.
- Oversee the annual audit coordinated by the Finance Officer.
- Support and facilitate the administration of the AMCS Board and relevant sub-committees such as our Audit and Risk Management committee.
Essential Selection Criteria
- At least three years’ experience in a similar role.
- Excellent management, operational, financial and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated experience in human resources and in supervising and supporting staff.
- Experience in database and IT systems management.
- Experience in organisational development, policies and planning.
- Strong team player with effective interpersonal and communications skills.
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Experience with community-based organisations or in the Not for Profit sector.
- Knowledge of fundraising and supporter care programs.
- Project management skills.
- Tertiary qualifications in Business Administration, Management or similar will be highly regarded.
About the organisation
The Australian Marine Conservation Society is the voice for Australia’s oceans. We are an independent not-for-profit charity. We deal with the big issues concerning the sea, working with the community to protect our marine wildlife, tackle major threats to our oceans and create marine sanctuaries, places in the sea where sea life is safe from harm. Across our campaigns we tackle climate change – the biggest existential threat to our ocean planet, with our Great Barrier Reef at the fire front. We are a committed group of professional and passionate scientists, educators and advocates who have defended Australia’s oceans for over 50 years.
Integrity. We are trusted, credible, independent and ethical in our actions.
Courage. We are brave, respectful and honest advocates for marine life.
Passion. We demonstrate commitment to and care for our oceans in all we do.
Solidarity. We work together, embracing equity, diversity and inclusivity.
Effectiveness. We are driven, professional, agile and resilient, working to deliver the best outcomes for Australia’s people and wildlife.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Operations Manager via Pro Bono Australia.