About the role
We are seeking to employ a casework support worker to provide support to our domestic violence caseworkers in an ancillary role working with women and children during their stay in the refuge focussing on their immediate needs and safe, affordable future housing. Post-refuge case management and support will also be a part of the role as appropriate.
We require our casework staff to be part of an after-hours on-call roster. The on-call role is paid in addition to normal hours.
This role would suit a new social work graduate interested in developing knowledge and skills in the area of domestic violence. While opportunities for professional development will be provided along with a high level of professional mentoring and supervision, a sound understanding and analysis of domestic violence and dynamics are essential to the role.
Examples of the role include assisting with applications for Centrelink, housing, accompanying clients for appointments and court as appropriate, transport, travel training and other roles associated with both casework and the running of the refuge.
The position requires initiative and the ability to manage and complete a range of tasks as directed.
The position is ongoing and part-time (0.6FTE). It is remunerated at Level 3 to Level 4 of the SCHCADS Industry Award plus superannuation depending on experience and qualifications.
- In-depth intake assessment of referrals of clients and their children for legal, psychological, health, housing, income maintenance and debt, immigration and safety issues
- Induction and settling in of clients into the refuge or temporary accommodation
- Assistance to caseworkers who provide ongoing intensive casework and strengths-based case management of refuge residents and other outreach clients, working towards independent living, free of violence and abuse
- Working with clients to achieve their case plan goals, as directed by caseworkers
- Developing strong referral networks, including services in the local area and in other locations
- Responding to ad hoc requests for information, advice, referral and other assistance
- High-level record-keeping and file maintenance
- Data entry on Apricot
- Participation in regular individual and group supervision
- Participation in team meetings
- Ongoing professional development, as appropriate and approved
- Participation in local networks and committees, as appropriate and approved
- Adherence to NSWBA policies and procedures, including WHS requirements and Code of Conduct
- Other job-related duties as required.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications, preferably a Bachelor of Social Work
- Demonstrated experience working in the field of domestic violence and child protection
- Good understanding and knowledge of domestic violence, its dynamics and effects
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of legal processes and other service responses to domestic violence
- Strong case management skills
- Excellent time management, organisational and administrative skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good networking and referral skills
- Commitment to professional integrity and accountability
- Demonstrated interest in working in a women’s service assisting women and children
- Commitment to working in a collegiate, collaborative and co-operative manner
- Current driver’s licence
- National criminal record check
- Working with Children Check
NSWBA employs women only; its Exemption Number is A140/2012.
About the organisation
Mary’s House is a refuge for women with or without accompanying children who are escaping domestic violence. We provide short-term crisis accommodation and case management addressing housing options, health, education and training, legal issues, including family law, protection orders and immigration, financial issues, referral to appropriate counselling services and other services. Mary’s House is managed by the Board of North Shore Women’s Benevolent Association (NSWBA), a small not-for-profit organisation.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: CASEWORK SUPPORT WORKER via Pro Bono Australia.