About the role
- Competitive salary for the right candidate plus Salary Packaging Options!
- Play an important role in helping children, young people & their families
- 12-month contract, working 35 hours per week
About the Multicultural Child and Family Program
SSI delivers a specialist culturally responsive permanency support program in Sydney with a satellite service in Newcastle and in Victoria. The Program uses a culturally responsive practice model to delivery family preservation, multicultural foster care, restoration and other out-of-home care services specialising in working with children, young people and families from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds. The program is committed to keeping children and young people safe, in stable homes, connected to family, community and culture.
My Life and Me is an SSI designed specialist cultural life story implementation program which includes journaling, coaching and training resources for children, young people, foster carers, birth family members and practitioners. It is used in collaboration with out of home care partners to build practice competencies and improve well-being outcomes for children and young people from culturally diverse (CALD) backgrounds.
About the role
This is new role within the program to compliment the program’s established cultural expertise in working with children and families and carers to facilitate and sustain positive strategies that keep children connected to information about their family’s backgrounds, helps them make choices about social and cultural activities that.
The role has a strong focus on respec ting and giving attention to keeping children informed and connected to their family’s culture and supporting them develop positive sense of belonging, self-esteem and identity. This is an important role and we are looking for someone passionate about culture, skilled in child development, trauma and in implementation strategies with standout skills in collaborative culturally responsive practices that improve outcomes for children and families and build sector capabilities.
The role is responsible for progressing the implementation strategies within SSI and with sector partners, including delivery, monitoring and evaluation activities.
Key responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Drive the business planning and implementation approach of the My Life and Me Cultural Life Story Work;
- Liaise with sector to identify and engage with interested agencies to partner with SSI in implementing My Life and Me Cultural Life Story Work;
- Coordinate, facilitate and monitor the delivery of the My Life and Me Cultural Life Story Work;
- Work with key internal stakeholders to develop marketing collateral;
- Work collaboratively with relevant internal and external stakeholders to ensure the success of the program and provide executive/management with accurate and timely advice;
- Monitor and collate evaluation data to track and capture implementation activities;
- Collate and analyse current practices and provide guidance and direction to improve and develop service frameworks for working with children and family from a CALD backgrounds.
The successful candidate will ideally have the following skills & experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, Family Therapy or related discipline;
- Life Story Work accreditation;
- Exceptional interpersonal, facilitation, consultation, mediation and communication skills enabling successful negotiation, within child protection and/or family focused context;
- Ability to engage and communicate to groups of people, tailoring communication, and activities to suit a CALD community or age range;
- Knowledge of child development, protection and/or experience in working with the OOHC;
- Knowledge and experience in implementation science
The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to culturally responsive practices, work well with people of all ages, backgrounds and across a range of positions understand potential challenges and opportunities and have the capabilities to engage an influence positive sustainable practice changes it.
If you have these qualities and experience in out-of-home care we want to hear from you!
What we offer at SSI
- ADO (fortnightly accrued day off) – currently on hold due to covid;
- Salary packaging options – receive up to $15,900 of your salary tax-free meaning more take home pay!
- Role is based in Bankstown (currently working from home with some scheduled office time);
- Returning to the office next year, where we will continue to promote flexible working arrangements and work/life balance;
- Working alongside collaborative and outcome focused team members all wanting to make a difference in our communities.
About the organisation
SSI is a community organisation and social business that supports newcomers and other Australians to achieve their full potential. We work with children and young people as well as people with refugee and asylum-seeking background, culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities, people with disability and more to build capacity and enable them to overcome inequality.
How to apply
Please ensure a detailed cover letter and your resume is attached to your application.
All employees will undergo a National Police Clearance and a Working with Children Check as a condition of employment.
SSI will provide reasonable adjustments in our recruitment processes and in the workplace.
If you require a reasonable adjustment please email email@example.com or call Vimla Khooblall on 02 8799 6700.
Please quote in application: My Life and Me Cultural Life Story Coordinator via Pro Bono Australia.