About the role
Working at the intersection of social enterprise, education, community impact, creativity and fun, this role is a senior leadership opportunity where you will positively impact on the lives of young storytellers.
We’re looking for a passionate leader with a desire to change education outcomes; someone who has the experience, networks and skills to take our organisation into its next growth phase.
Based in Footscray, leading a small, dynamic team with a wicked creative bent, our next CEO will be a role model for the creative risk-taking that’s at the heart of our work, and a savvy business leader who makes smart, strategic decisions.
Reporting to the Board, the CEO leads the operations of 100 Story Building towards achieving its mission of providing opportunities for the most marginalised children and young people in our community to build the literacy skills, confidence and sense of belonging that are fundamental to future success.
- Leadership and advocacy: fostering the vision and culture internally and being the organisation’s public voice
- Achievement: ensuring impact happens, the strategic plan is enacted and board objectives are met
- Stewardship: good governance through compliance, financial management and sustainability
- Relationships: forging positive and strategic connections with audiences, philanthropic partners, government and community organisations, and other stakeholders
- Management: positively develop and manage people, resources, policies and systems
- Entrepreneurial mindset: bringing business/startup skills married to social enterprise impact, and raising funds and revenue
The CEO oversees the 100 Story Building team of staff and volunteers, with 5 direct reports, and carries a salary range of $110,000 – $120,000. Flexible working arrangements are available, and candidates from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Who You Are
Some specific attributes we’re looking for.
- You’re a skilled leader. You’re self-aware and effective. You’ve attracted and kept great talent, led teams and coordinated activities to achieve results in organisational growth and mission-driven impact.
- You’re great at solving problems. You bring strategy, innovation and solutions that work in a not-for-profit, social enterprise environment.
- You’re a visionary. You can take an idea or words and paper and build a movement, one that will change how we educate young people about creativity in the future.
- You’re intelligent and perceptive. Formal qualifications are not a barrier. We’re looking for a mix of experience and qualifications in a relevant field, including business, management, teaching, arts, communications, development, community management, fundraising or social enterprise.
- You’re strategic. You have an ability to pick priorities strategically and coherently deliver on them, you bring demonstrated awesomeness in organisational governance and working with a supportive Board, and you’re a boss at effective reporting, strategic advice and issues management.
- You’re a great communicator and storyteller. You can express yourself as a writer and speaker. You have demonstrated the skills required to be a spokesperson, to advocate, promote and present within media and public settings and with children.
- You come with a strong network and are exceptional at building enduring relationships. You have the capacity to engage with government, philanthropic partners, private, public and non-profit organisations, communities, and schools. You have high EQ, grit, and compassion, and can communicate with anyone on their level.
- You have money smarts. You understand financial models and implications. You can raise money and know where and why it should be spent. You can take the lead to scale up our revenue, partnerships and philanthropic endeavours.
- And most importantly, you have heart. You expect the best and carry others through the worst. You support and help others grow. You can translate passion for children’s flourishing and safety into action, accept responsibility for outcomes with grace, and be an example for others to admire.
About the organisation
Who We Are
100 Story Building is a social enterprise and registered non-profit organisation. We work with children and young people to develop their creativity and literacy, through workshop programs, projects, online learning and community engagement.
Operating since 2012, our mission is to provide opportunities for the most marginalised children and
young people in our community to build the literacy skills, confidence and sense of belonging that are fundamental to future success. Since we started, we have impacted the lives of over 35,000 students, and built a strong evidence base showing clear outcomes in literacy development, confidence and engagement in learning.
In our very tall (or very deep?) building in Footscray, young storytellers create and write their own stories inspired by the strange creatures and peculiar happenings on the 99 levels below the trapdoor. However, like the ever-expanding creative minds of young storytellers, we are not limited by the walls of the building. We travel to classrooms, libraries, community centres, festivals across Victoria - both online and in-person, and have emerged from 2020 with vital lessons learned, in a strong fiscal position, poised to scale.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Chief Executive Officer via Pro Bono Australia.