About the role
About this role
CBM Australia has a long-standing partnership with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), through which we provide technical advice and support on disability inclusive development. Under this partnership, we provide a Canberra-based advisor who is placed with the Disability, Indigenous and Social Inclusion (DIS) section in DFAT and who is closely linked back to the CBM advisory team in Melbourne.
This Disability Inclusion Advisor – Canberra-based role will:
- Be for a 12 month period, with the possibility of extension into a broader role within the CBM Australia IAG team
- Be fully dedicated to DFAT, and work in the DFAT Canberra office alongside DFAT staff
- Support DFAT DIS with their key disability inclusion priorities, for example building disability inclusion capacity development across the Department
- Provide direct technical advice and on-the-spot support to DFAT staff, for example: attending peer review meetings, discussing designs, or providing comment on meeting briefs
- Be able to facilitate DFAT staff to access disability inclusion technical advice from the broader CBM IAG team through the DID4All Help Desk
- Support other CBM IAG staff to effectively target advice to DFAT
- Be formally managed and mentored remotely by one of CBM’s Advisor Managers, based in Melbourne
- Regularly travel to Melbourne to ensure connection to the broader CBM IAG team
- Have day to day supervision from a nominated DFAT DIS Officer.
Who we’re looking for
Our team of Disability Inclusion Advisors is made up of people from a variety of professional backgrounds, from former diplomats to humanitarian workers and allied health professionals. For this Disability Inclusion Advisor – Canberra-based role, we are specifically looking for the following:
- Experience in disability inclusion, or the inclusion of other marginalised groups, preferably in an international development context
- Higher level qualifications in public health, international development or social policy
- Experience advising government, especially DFAT
- Exceptional analytical and written and expressive communication skills
- A high level of initiative, strategic thinking and the ability to self-manage
- A commitment to human rights and inclusion
- A commitment to working in partnership
- Background from the global South, especially the Pacific
- An active NV1 security clearance
- Applicants with lived experience of disability will be highly regarded.
CBM Australia is committed to workplace equity and diversity and encourages applications from Australian Residents with diverse cultural backgrounds and people with a disability. CBM Australia is committed to the safety and best interest of all children accessing CBM supported services, programs and workplace. Relevant background checks including working with children, police and reference checks will be completed prior to the preferred candidate’s employment being confirmed.
The Disability Inclusion Advisor – Canberra based role placed with DFAT DIS is also required to have a NV1 level security clearance.
About the organisation
CBM Australia’s Inclusion Advisory Group (IAG) is a team of international development professionals, working alongside the disability movement to ensure that development and humanitarian programs include people with disabilities. Our goal is to influence the programs of other aid agencies to be more inclusive of people with disabilities. See more about the work of our team here: https://www.cbm.org.au/inclusionadvisorygroup
We partner with the disability movement to influence organisations, institutions and systems to realise the rights of persons with disabilities. We believe that tailored input, communicated effectively, with the right people at the table can help make inclusion a reality.
Our work is fast-paced, diverse and growing. Working with us, you might crunch data for a report, facilitate a workshop, or help an overseas disability rights organisation plan their strategy (sometimes, all in the same week).
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Disability Inclusion Advisor – Canberra-Based via Pro Bono Australia.