About the role
Community Language Assistants (CLA’s) are an integral part of delivering culturally appropriate and responsive settlement support.
We are seeking Oromo and Tigrinya speaking staff in the Ipswich region. In the Logan region we are seeking Chin Haka, Chin Matu, Chin Zomi, Urdu, Punjabi, Kirundi and Swahili speaking staff.
- Assist Access Community Services staff in settlement needs assessments.
- Complete assigned settlement related tasks with individual clients under the direction of Access Community Services staff
- Provide cultural advice and liaison between client and Access Community Services staff.
- Provide cultural support for internal and external agencies as requested.
- Keep accurate documentation and records in relation to completion of tasks.
- Represent Access Community Services ethically whilst completing a task on behalf of the organisation.
- Inform Access Community Services regarding any changes in personal circumstances (e.g. loss of driver’s license, change of address)
- Any additional tasks assigned by the CLA Coordinator in relation to their role including attendance at CLA staff meetings and training events.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with all members of staff, funding bodies and contacts within and outside the organisation.
- Ability to communicate in both English and client’s community language.
- Ability and willingness to work with all members of own cultural and language community as well as other clients of Access Community Services when requested.
- Ability to speak in front of individuals or groups.
- Ability to make presentation of own culture.
- Knowledge and understanding of Australian culture and systems which is relevant to client settlement and the ability to explain this settlement knowledge to clients.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility, initiative and cooperation to deal effectively with any situation.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Understanding of the Access Code of Conduct.
- Possession of a valid Positive Notice Blue Card or willingness to obtain one.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft products.
- Current Drivers Licence.
About the organisation
Access Community Services Limited (ACSL) is Australia's leader and specialist in settlement, employment, training and youth and social enterprises for migrants, refugees and mainstream clients, in Queensland, particularly in the South East. As a community based, not for profit organisation limited by guarantee, we boast over a 30 year history of serving our local community which was originally established in Logan in 1984. We are committed to fostering community development, youth, settlement and employment initiatives and to providing personal support programs to address the needs of disadvantaged youth and community groups including migrants, refugees, humanitarian entrants and visa holders.
How to apply
Forward your application addressing the selection criteria (no more than 2 pages) included along with the cover letter attachment and current resume. For a copy of the Position Description - please email Kelsey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
***Applications will not be considered without the resume and response to selection criteria. Please merge your cover letter and selection criteria in a single document.***
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourage people with disability, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people, mature aged workers and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply.
Please quote in application: Community Language Assistant via Pro Bono Australia.