About the role
- Based in Newcastle, immediate start!
- Casual position with varied working hours (depending on business needs)
- Attractive hourly rate
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Humanitarian Settlement Program (HSP) builds skills and knowledge for the social and economic wellbeing of humanitarian entrants through needs-based case management. SSI delivers the program in Sydney and regional NSW, supporting refugees and humanitarian entrants to settle quickly, successfully adjust to the changes in their lives, and identify and work towards their education and employment goals.
As part of your role as a Bilingual Guide you may be required to assist in the reception and settlement of refugee and humanitarian entrants as part of HSP. You may be required to undertake basic casework tasks related to early settlement and community orientation as directed by a Caseworker or Team Leader and support community orientation and other client activities as needed.
Alternatively, you may be required to work more closely with the Out Of Home Care Program where you will supervise contact between foster parents and children and provide language support to carers in non-matching placements.
- Providing on-arrival assistance to clients, including initial Airport reception, accompanying clients from Sydney Airport to their Short Term Accommodation (STA)
- Meeting clients at arrival at Sydney International Airport and assisting them to board onward transportation to regional areas of NSW or to other Australian Capitals. During the transit BG’s will also assist clients with food, health and orientation needs.
- Assisting clients for essential registration in schools, including Adult Migrant English Programs, Centrelink, and banks
- Accompanying clients to medical appointments, including specialist appointments, local community health centres, Refugee Health Clinics, NSW Service for the Treatment and Rehabilitation of Torture (STARTTS)
- Transporting clients by car or public transport to activities, supervisions and other appointments they may have
- Providing informal interpreting and translation services, demonstrating practice and of use of Telephone Interpretation Services (TIS), emergency numbers and mobile phones
- Assisting clients in settling in STA property, assisting the SSI Housing Division in the process of property check-in
- Writing clear, concise, accurate, and objective case notes and submitting those case notes in a timely manner
- Report writing and supervision may be required during client visits, administration duties relating to a specific department may be required
You will need to be able to speak read and write in Dari/Farsi/Pashto whilst also being proficient in written and spoken English. Experience working in a CALD setting within and outside their own language/ community group is desirable.
ABOUT OUR BENEFITS
- Access to in-house training and learning opportunities for professional development and growth;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Working alongside professional and dedicated team members all wanting to make a difference in our communities.
About the organisation
Settlement Services International (SSI Group) is a community-based organisation and social business that supports newcomers and Australians to achieve their full potential. Taking an integrated approach to how everyone can thrive within the community in which they live and the wider Australian society, we support children, young people, and families; people living with disabilities; and asylum seekers, refugees and migrants. Our programs include facilitating employment, multicultural foster care, creating community engagement, advocacy, and influencing government and international affairs and provide though leadership within our sector nationally and globally.
How to apply
Hit 'Apply Now' and submit your application to be considered for this role.
At SSI we have a zero-tolerance for child abuse and is committed to creating and maintaining a child safe organization where protecting children and preventing and responding to child abuse is embedded in the everyday thinking and practice of all employees, contractors and volunteers. All employees will undergo a National Police Clearance and a Working with Children Check as a condition of employment.
We encourage candidates to provide a cover letter along with your resume, by submitting online. Should you be successful for the first round of shortlist, one of our Talent Acquisition Specialists will guide you through our process and next steps.
SSI will provide reasonable adjustments in our recruitment processes and in the workplace. If you require a reasonable adjustment, or want to update your preferred method of communication, please email email@example.com or call Vimla Khooblall on 02 8799 6700
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander viewers are warned that the following video may contain images and footage of deceased persons – viewer discretion is advised.
Please quote in application: Bilingual Guides- Dari/Farsi and Dari Pashto via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Support_Services, #Overseas_Aid_and_Development