About the role
We are seeking a new Company Secretary to support the growth of The Next Economy. This person will liaise closely with the CEO and Board Chair to manage the corporate governance and regulatory compliance of The Next Economy.
This volunteer role is best suited to someone who has some experience as a company secretary, in non-profit Board governance or charity legal.
The Next Economy’s Company Secretary is responsible for:
- Managing communication for TNE Board meetings, General Meetings and Board Committee meetings including:
- Arrange/co-ordinate the scheduling of meetings and give due notice:
- Compile and circulate papers to Directors prior to meetings
- Coordinate meeting agendas and take minutes
- Manage election processes
- Follow up with Directors in relation to actions
- Ensuring that TNE complies with statutory obligations under any relevant laws and regulations including the maintenance of registers and the retention of documents and records.
- Ensuring completion and lodgement of statutory forms and reporting, including Annual accounts, annual information statements, changes in Directors and secretaries.
- Ensuring adherence to TNE’s Constitution.
- Assist with the compilation of the Directors’ Reports for inclusion in the Annual financial reports and Annual Report.
- Ensure the Board induction documentation is up-to-date and assist new Directors with the induction process.
- Communicate effectively with TNE’s Board, staff team, volunteers and external stakeholders.
- Identify and capitalise on opportunities to assist TNE’s impact through its Board and organisational compliance
- Carrying out other functions, if any, required of the Company Secretary by the Constitution, the CEO, or the Board.
Selection criteria for the role is outlined below:
- Awareness of regulatory compliance required of an Australian charity (ACNC).
- Knowledge of Directors’ duties and Constitutional compliance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated organisational skills and a compliance orientation from an organisational perspective.
- Proven track record of success in company secretarial functions, governance and/or similar legal or financial experience.
- Working in small, purpose-driven organisations.
- Empathetic leadership and communication style – including a high level of self-awareness and understanding of how to drive and motivate people.
- Detail and compliance oriented.
- High level of confidentiality.
- Commitment to TNE’s vision, mission and objectives.
- Flexible, creative and comfortable with ambiguity or complexity.
Tertiary qualifications in law or finance/commerce/accounting is preferable
About the organisation
Our Mission & Vision
The Next Economy supports communities struggling with economic change to stimulate their economy in ways that protect and regenerate both people and planet.
Our ultimate goal is to transform the economy so that the way we produce, consume, exchange, work and manage surplus:
Ensures the wellbeing of all people, with everyone having meaningful opportunities to prosper in thriving, healthy communities.
Reduces and absorbs carbon emissions across all sectors to mitigate and adapt to climate change impacts.
Protects and regenerates natural ecosystems.
The Next Economy works across all economic sectors to accelerate the transition to a climate-safe, socially just and regenerative economy by:
Supporting communities across regional Australia to develop plans and strategies that reduce carbon emissions while simultaneously creating good social and economic outcomes. We also connect them to the resources and expertise they need to implement those plans.
Applying what we learn from regional projects by working with decision makers across industry and government (State and Federal) to develop new policies and frameworks for systems change.
Inspiring the public to act by raising awareness about the range of solutions available to tackle climate change and regenerate the environment while creating a more prosperous, cohesive and peaceful society.
Training people working across environment, climate, union and social service organisations to work more effectively with people across regional Australia for long-term mutual benefit and meaningful climate action.
Currently, most of our work focuses on transforming the energy, agriculture/land-use, manufacturing and transport sectors in regions where the economy is heavily tied to fossil fuel extraction and use, such as Central Queensland, The Hunter Valley in New South Wales, The Latrobe Valley in Victoria and the Northern Territory.
The Next Economy is a Company Limited by Guarantee, with the organisational structure consisting of four parts:
The Board - responsible for strategic oversight and the governance of the organisation.
The Operations Team - responsible for the day-to-day running of the organisation. Currently the staff consists of 5 people.
The Transitioning Australia Group: - a network of experts and regional leaders who work with us on a casual/contractual basis.
Advisory Council: - the ‘brains trust’ for the operations team and consists of leading experts across a range of different topics.
How to apply
How do I apply?
Please submit a copy of your CV (maximum 3 pages) as well as a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) that briefly addresses the selection criteria.
Applications should be compiled into one document and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Application for Company Secretary”.
For more information regarding the role please contact Lizzie Webb at email@example.com
Please quote in application: Company Secretary via Pro Bono Australia.