About the role
Save the Children Australia’s retail network offers customers excellent quality recycled clothing, footwear, homewares, toys, books and much more. Run predominantly by volunteers, the NSW and QLD retail network is our most extensive state network, and accordingly requires a highly efficient and inspirational retail leader that can deliver superior results.
Where you come in:
In this full-time permanent position, you will be responsible for the financial performance and operational management of the network of Save the Children Australia opportunity shops across both Queensland and New South Wales. This role will also involve significant time both in-store and on-the-road driving business development. Leadership will be key to your success, as you will build collaboration across a team of eight direct reports and a solid volunteer base. You will be a key member of the Retail Leadership Team (RLT) and report into the Director of Retail.
You will make an impact by:
- Managing and improving store performance to required financial targets and KPIs
- Identifying areas for sustainable financial growth
- Engaging and motivating a large team of both permanent employees and up to 800 volunteers
- Implementing consistent retail practices across NSW and QLD stores
- Implementing the national retail volunteer strategy and program
- Ensuring efficiencies and safety with the NSW warehouse and QLD depot
Does this sound like you?
You come from a strong retail background and may be an experienced State/Senior Area Manager looking for that next challenge. You can walk into a store and know, just by look, what needs to be done to improve the operations. You are passionate about people and leadership and have a natural ability to engage with a wide variety of people at all levels. Resilience, drive, adaptability and organisation are inherent skills that support your desire to contribute to a well-respected cause.
This role requires:
- Significant retail experience with financial and operational responsibility for a multi-store network including remote store management
- Holistic approach to retail including operations, stock management, visual merchandising, marketing and property management
- Leadership and influencing skills with success in managing, engaging, and developing staff
- Ability to translate strategy into operations and drive the achievement of goals
- Demonstrated success in increasing customer engagement
- A current driver’s licence
- Ability to travel on a regular basis
Working at Save the Children is more than just a job.
It’s the feeling of knowing that your work is contributing to making the world a better place for children and working with others who feel the same. In addition to a connection to social causes, you will have access to:
- Opportunity to work on additional projects alongside business as usual
- Friendly and flexible work environment, including working from home
- Pet friendly work environment
- Child friendly work environment
- Competitive salary + super, full salary packaging benefits
At Save the Children, we seek a workforce that is as diverse as our society – in race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexuality, disability, cultures and beliefs – and reflects the communities we work in. We believe diversity and inclusion are fundamental to our culture and core values and we demonstrate this commitment through all our employment practices. Our inclusive workplace culture contributes to making Save the Children a great place to work. We encourage people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds to apply.
Save the Children Australia is a child-safe organisation. All employees are required to undergo a National Police Check, a Working with Children Check (where necessary), and sign our Child Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct.
Save the Children Australia supports the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. If you are successful in your application, we will request consent to access HR held information pertaining to your last 5 years of employment. You can read about the Scheme and our commitment to Safeguarding here.
About the organisation
Save the Children is no ordinary not-for-profit.
We’re ambitious, creative and outspoken. We stand up for children’s rights. We want all children to be educated, healthy and live a life free from violence. We run programs in Australia and overseas and, if there’s a disaster - like an earthquake, drought or conflict – we are there on the ground.
How to apply
We’d love to hear from you. Submit your cover letter and resume by clicking on one of the 'Apply Now' buttons where you will be redirected to our career page.
Please quote in application: Retail State Operations Manager – NSW & QLD via Pro Bono Australia.