About the role
Part time – 16hr per week leading to full-time
Location – Sydney
Salary range –≈ $120-150k/ann commensurate with experience
This is a unique call out and opportunity for a talented, progressive and experienced General Manager to bring the Happy Fish Project (HFP) to market and beyond. I seek someone who embraces the vision and the values, and leverages these to create a thriving, scalable enterprise.
HFP is in its infancy, so there are opportunities and scope for the right candidate to create their dream job!
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION
- Collaboration and teamwork
Are you good at collaborating, can you respectfully disagree? The right person will be excited by the opportunity to collaborate and co-create on Happy Fish and its diverse stakeholders. You will be working closely with HFP’s highly collaborative Founder
Start part-time approx.16 hours/week, with a view to evolving into
full time engagement as the business grows. Very flexible hours
There is none. Flexible hybrid working from home and in person.
Help create a positive and engaged human centred work culture to thrive in
- Marketing and PR
Marketing is core HFP business. Develop monitor and review strategy, possibly execute and assist making a splash!
- Project Manager
Strong operational, financial and time management, marketing and business plan implementation. PM is critical to developing HFP from pilot phase to a fully operational success story- requiring strong operational, financial and time management, marketing and business plan implementation
- Head of Operations
Develop systems of consistent delivery, monitor and review to make it right. Quality manager managing operations
- Head of Finance
Rock solid business skills and understanding of business structures such as ‘social enterprise’ and Not for Profits, develop financial and business plans; day to day running of the business, revenue forecasting, cashflow, pay, tax, insurances.
- Product Development
Including pricing model for the tagging, tracking, and seafood assessments.
- Brand Ambassador and Stakeholder Management
Bringing diverse people along for the journey; building positive and strong relationships; negotiation skills and talent.
- Product Sales
to fisheries, restaurants and fish shops. Making it easy and appealing for everybody
- Align with the project Values indicated below
- Can gracefully maintain a commercial mindset in balance with an environmental proposition. A breadth and depth of experience in business and entrepreneurship. Understands big as well as nano-business, and is comfortable in both spheres
- Enjoys collaboration
- Strong communication and people skills, a team player and builder, good at bringing people together
- Agile, innovative thinking, enjoys complexity and challenges posed by wicked problems. Knows the system, how to work in it and catalyse change where desired. An artful strategist
- Solution-oriented, focussing on solutions as distinct from problem solving.
- Strong marketing and sales knowledge and experience
- Great organisational, operational and time management skills, loves to get things running smoothly. An ability to document and create reproducible systems
- Track record of having developed and scaled start-ups
- An understanding of the food and fisheries industries is highly desirable but negotiable
- Experience in supply chains is important but negotiable
- Comfortable with emerging technologies. HFP is a start-up tech company, using technology to enable transparent supply chains and verify sustainability and provenance.
If you’re wedded to the old school ways of doing business this is not for you.
Grey hair, no hair, long hair, t-shirted or besuited; it doesn’t matter what suburb you come from, whether you’re ‘cool’ or not. What is important are aligned values and a deep business knowledge and experience supercharged by an exploratory growth mindset. Are you interested in and adept at cultivating positive work cultures? How excited are you by the prospect of co-creating on a purposeful and progressive business? Have you a wicked understanding of business principles, structures and mechanics? Have you an agile creative mindset that’s always seeking a better way to do something?
If so you may be the person we are looking for!
Here is a link to the current and soon to be replaced Happy Fish website for more about what we do
Like the name suggests, Happy Fish is an enormously positive force that has attracted industry leaders including the most eminent scientists in their field, fishers, high profile chefs and food businesses, eNGOS, leading tracking technologists, artist etc. They have collaborated and frequently donated their time to make this unique initiative possible. The common language is common values and a belief this could be a game changer. The extraordinary goodwill and privileged position HFP occupies really separates this from business as usual. I’m looking for someone who’ll thrive in and contribute to this positive environment, pool of talent and the colourful characters.
Happy Fish is first and foremost a values proposition. Please only apply if these values resonate with you:
- Environment FirstPassionate about the environment and ocean. This is a business proposition with the environment as the bottom line
- Enjoyment and satisfactionMilk opportunities to make work fun and stimulating. What opportunities do the challenges signal? How to transform sticking points into growth and expansion and bring others along for the ride. A fan of Happy Fish, who loves working on it.
- Independence transparency and accountability HFP is about building trust in supply chains; transparency and accountability are crucial to our credibility right through the seafood supply chain to the way we conduct business and personal interactions. Do you own, acknowledge and frame mistakes as opportunities for growth?
- Open communicationsCreate safety to be fearlessly honest about the good, the bad, and the ugly; to question and challenge. Cultivate the art of speaking your mind thoughtfully and with heart. In the words of Gandhi Be the change you seek.
- People are the faces behind the fish People are Happy Fish’s capital and lifeblood, they are valuable and each interaction is valuable. Building relationships founded in trust and satisfaction is invaluable to creating a thriving happy scalable work culture here at HF HQ, as well as for our stakeholders.
- Creating valueEmbrace excellence in business offerings, outcomes and working relations
About the organisation
the Happy Fish Project (HFP) was started by volunteer Bondi Beach locals alarmed to discover the extent of fish and ocean ecosystem decline. Fast forward several years, HFP has extensive industry networks from ocean-to-plate and has evolved into an independent social enterprise committing 100% of profits to the NFP Happy Fish Foundation. The Foundation is dedicated to ocean regeneration projects and education.
Starting small and local, our vision is to make Bondi Beach the first of many sustainable seafood destinations in the world. We support healthy oceans by making it ridiculously simple and fun for seafood sellers and consumers to know What fish is sustainable? Where to get it? and Track the fish all the way back to the ocean.
We don’t advocate eating fish, we advocate that if you do; eat it as sustainably as possible, celebrate where it came from and enjoy it to its fullest!
How to apply
If the below describes you, your interests, talent, and skillset, please forward a copy of your CV with a 1-2 page cover letter outlining why you are suitable for the role.
Please email all communications directly to Sandra Marshall: email@example.com including enquiries as to your likely suitability or further details about the role.
Communications will be kept in the strictest confidence.
Please quote in application: General Manager via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Development, #Community_Engagement, #Conservation_and_Environment