About the organisation
The Australian Marine Conservation Society is the voice for Australia's oceans. We are an independent not-for-profit charity. We deal with the big issues concerning the sea, working with the community to protect our marine wildlife, tackling major threats to our oceans and creating marine sanctuaries, places in the sea where sea life is safe from harm. Across our campaigns we tackle climate change - the biggest existential threat to our ocean planet, with our Great Barrier Reef at the fire front. We are a committed group of professional and passionate scientists, educators and advocates who have defended Australia's oceans for over 50 years.
- Integrity. We are trusted, credible, independent and ethical in our actions.
- Courage. We are brave, respectful and honest advocates for marine life.
- Passion. We demonstrate commitment to and care for our oceans in all we do.
- Solidarity. We work together, embracing equity, diversity and inclusivity.
- Effectiveness. We are driven, professional, agile and resilient, working to deliver the best outcomes for Australia’s people and wildlife.
- Innovation. We are creative, flexible, open, and solutions focused.
For more information about our organisation and our people please visit: https://www.marineconservation.org.au/
About the role
The Australian Marine Conservation Society (AMCS) has been the voice for and defender of Australia’s oceans and marine life for over 50 years. With more than 300,000 supporters around the country, we are one of Australia’s most influential environmental charities. As a proudly independent, conservation organisation, AMCS achieves change by building and mobilising widespread support from the Australian community for solutions to the big problems facing Australia’s oceans.
In this exciting new role, you will lead our high performing campaign teams to protect Australia’s amazing oceans and their wildlife, which are some of the richest on earth. We’re seeking an experienced and effective campaigner and an inspiring and collaborative leader looking for a rewarding role and to make a real difference.
Purpose of the Position:
The Campaigns Director achieves real-world impact for Australia’s oceans and marine life by leading our campaigns and conservation work. They are responsible for delivering our advocacy, campaigns and programs to achieve AMCS’ goals for the protection of Australia’s oceans and the people, communities and marine wildlife that depend on them.
The Campaigns Director leads our campaign teams and drives the development and implementation of our campaign strategy. They work closely with our communications and fundraising teams to ensure our campaigns are effective, well supported and financially sustainable.
Reporting and Accountability:
The Campaigns Director reports to the Chief Executive Officer. The Campaigns Director is part of our leadership team that has responsibility for AMCS’ overall management, strategic direction and culture.
The position manages our Campaign Managers. Positions that report to this post are: Fisheries and Threatened Species Campaign Manager, Great Barrier Reef Campaign Manager, Keep Top End Coasts Healthy Campaign Manager, Marine Parks Campaign Manager and Plastic Pollution Campaign Manager.
- Lead the development, implementation and evaluation of AMCS’ campaigns to meet the organisational objectives of the AMCS Strategic Plan.
- Set the strategic direction for AMCS campaigns and conservation work, ensuring the development of clear campaign, program, project and individual work plans.
- Oversee the monitoring, evaluation, optimisation and reporting on the effectiveness of our campaigns and conservation work.
- Lead our advocacy work, representing AMCS in significant and high-level meetings and negotiations and, as required, be our lead campaigner on key issues.
- Build a strong and active presence for our campaigns, complimenting the role of the campaign managers in representing AMCS in the public and media.
- Build strong relationships, strategic partnerships and networks to grow AMCS campaign impact and influence.
- Ensure all campaign and conservation activities reflect the organisation’s values, are independent and non-partisan, and meet legal requirements.
Campaign team and staff management
- Lead and supervise the Campaign Managers to ensure the delivery of impactful campaigns and conservation programs across our work areas.
- Ensure the Campaigns Managers are supported to fulfil their responsibilities and meet performance targets, and provide for their training and career development.
- Ensure coordination and cohesion between AMCS’ different campaign teams and campaign areas.
- Ensure effective cross coordination of AMCS’ campaigns with organisational communications and fundraising plans and activities.
- Ensure CEO, Board and staff have timely and accurate information on our campaigns, including our performance against the Strategic Plan.
- Contribute to the leadership team on AMCS’ strategy, growth, development and culture.
- Engage in and support fundraising activities including grant making and philanthropy to secure ongoing funding for campaign and conservation activities.
- At least five years’ leadership or senior management experience in managing, supervising and supporting staff in a similar role.
- Demonstrated record of high performance in campaigning roles, with substantial expertise in developing and implementing campaigns that drive impact.
- Excellent strategic and campaign communications skills and experience, including media engagement.
- Strong team player and inspiring and empowering leader.
- Significant knowledge of conservation and environmental issues in Australia and extensive networks within government, stakeholders and community organisations.
- Commitment to upholding AMCS’ values and to protecting our oceans.
A knowledge and working experience of fundraising, grant making and supporter engagement is desirable but not essential.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Campaigns Director via Pro Bono Australia.